Hong Kong Take 2


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » Wan Chai
September 7th 2008
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Back in Hong Kong, and I was lucky enough to have a flat sorted before I arrived. I’m living with a friend (Amy) in Causeway Bay on Hong Kong Island. It’s a lovely place in an excellent location.

Before I started work I enjoyed watching the Olympics, and there was a big screen in Victoria park for people to go and watch, however, the Cantonese commentary was not that helpful for me! Thanks to the Olympics the public sports facilities are free until the 30th September so I have been frequenting the outdoor 50m pool a ten minute walk away, it’s lovely! We live very near a fantastic market so now that we have a fridge, we can stock up on fresh fruit and veg whenever we need, and soon we will brave the live fish stalls.

After being at work for a day and a half, I had a day off due to a typhoon. It got to level 9, and stayed at level 9 for the longest time on record. The night before I headed out to see the kooks live which was good, dancing in the front row, and in the meantime luckily Amy had bought some food supplies, but this was pre fridge so it was a tin can adventure!

After the message from work saying don’t come in, I was straight back to sleep and then typhoon day was a brilliant excuse to do nothing, and not feel guilty about it! We couldn’t go outside, and so we watched a film, cooked our random supply of food, danced around the flat and had a good time. We were very thankful to have got a sofa for our flat a dew days before! (We are furnishing the flat ourselves). By the evening, cabin fever began to get a bit much so we decided to brave it, as it was not a direct hit over causeway bay, it was just very wet and windy. The umbrella did go inside out though! We got very very wet and it was all good fun! Ironically we went to a bar called typhoon, and there was a really good atmosphere, everyone riding out the typhoon and enjoying the day off from work!

I’m pleased to say the weather is lovely again, and I’ve had a couple of trips to the beach, and been for a nice walk along the island countryside. Last weekend I spent Saturday on a junk boat which we took out to Sai Kung and swam in the sea with cocktails, and then had lunch on board before returning in the evening with pizza on board - what a life!

I'm off camping tomorrow as it is a long weekend thanks to the Mid-Autumn festival celebrating the full moon.

Jen x



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

HK Island HK Island
HK Island

Taken on a walk in the hills
Proof..Proof..
Proof..

T9 pulled down some branches in Central


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb