More & more people


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
February 23rd 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.9165, 116.391

The morning was supposed to be a quiet walk in the park watching the locals do their Tai Chi and exercises followed by a visit to the Temple of Heaven. It was a beautiful sunny day and not as cold as previously so lots of people were in the park. At the entrance to the Temple of Heaven there was a huge throng piling in. Fortunately our guide could get us through the gate quickly. Once in the huge complex which was built by the same guy who did the Forbidden City, we stood in front of the Temple of Heaven, where the Emperor used to come at special times of the Lunar calendar and offer prayers to the gods. We were just about to go up the steps to the Temple when suddenly all the people were halted and barriers were placed around the square in front. We did not have a clue what was going on but joined the mass of people around the square and waited. Eventually a big gong sounded and men in colourful costumes started to appear. A sea of cameras was raised by the throng and we were glad to be a head taller than most to see what was going on and get our own photos. At the head of the parade were chaps cracking whips and when the man in front knocked off his own fancy hat with pigtail it caused great laughter among the crowd. Next came lots of men in different types of costume as would have been worn at the time of the Ming Emperors, flag carriers and other notables. Eventually the "Emperor" arrived and mounted the steps of the Temple and offered up his prayers. It all made for a more interesting visit especially when we heard later that we could not have got into the temple anyway but only peer in from outside. That was the end of our tours of Beijing so we said goodbye to our guide Gloria, who looked 16 but was really 35 and could talk for China!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb