Hordes on the Wall


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
February 22nd 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.9165, 116.391

I had expected the Wall to be empty because it was winter but once again every Chinese family in Beijing were out and about because it was still a holiday and it was also a Sunday. There were literally hordes of them clambering up and down the same stretch. They do not have the British sense of orderly queueing but barge along. I was glad I had my walking stick as there are hundreds of steps. It was a bright sunny day and at least there was no snow on the wall as there had been 2 days ago. The surrounding mountains are lovely and once we got to the first tower it was a bit calmer. We decided to walk down the mountain path rather than battle down the steps. At the bottom the usual beer took priority and while we were sitting there a young couple asked if they could have a photo of us with the girl. We must have looked a funny sight by this time!
We then went back towards Beijing for a lovely Chinese meal in a restaurant which was conveniently placed above a jade showroom. There were some stunning pieces and although we had said "no more stuff" we succumbed and bought a beautiful jade elephant. Our luggage weight is already critical so I will probably have to carry him.
Next we called at Changling in the Tianshiou mountains which is the burial place of Chengzu, the 3rd Ming emperor. He had built the Forbidden City so his burial palace was built in the same style. There are 13 emperors buried in this area which is spread over a large distance so we had only time to visit the one tomb. I was sad that we had no time to walk along the Sacred Path which has some nice animal sculptures along it. If you come try and go there.
Tonight we are going out for a Duck Dinner


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



22nd February 2015

You will be fit all those steps and in the mountains. Amazed at the numbers of people I thought the chinese were all visiting Europe!We will take your advice before we plan our trip to China it looks amazing.Take care BrionyPS Are the quiz
groups finnished?
22nd February 2015

I thought the wall was built to keep the hordes out?

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb