A little more Beijing and a lot more travel


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 8th 2013
Published: August 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in China before we leave for Vietnam, and we had just enough time in the morning to visit Tianenmen Square. It's a huge area flanked by four impressive and somewhat daunting buildings: the Forbidden City to the north complete with super-sized Mao portrait; the National Museum to the East, Mao's mausoleum to the South (with a looong line of the faithful waiting to see his decaying body!) and the Great Hall of the People (where the politicians hang out) to the West. Security guards, police and soldiers are everywhere and bags are x-rayed just to enter the square. The square is famous for various protests over the years and the authorities seem keen to avoid a repeat. The crowds were again large, but in such a big space they were bearable.

We traveled everywhere in Beijing by subway, and it is a very impressive system. There are lots of stations, which are all very clean and air-conditioned. Signs are in Mandarin and English, and even the announcements ("mind the gap") are in Mandarin and English. And the price is right at 30 cents/20 pence no matter how far you go.

Overall impressions of Beijing are positive, but it is certainly not a third world city. This place has arrived! While the hutongs are still there, they are all being gradually consumed by development. There is a lot to see and do here, however I feel that the fact that it is so modern makes it a little less interesting.

The trip to Hanoi got off to a rotten start as we sat on the plane for 3 1/2 hours before pushing back. There was no explanation besides waiting for air traffic control, but we suspect it was TD10 that has now become Tropical Storm Mangkhut, hitting the Hanoi area. Nonetheless the plane did eventually leave for the 3 hour flight and we arrived safely if a little late. In contrast to the large western hotel we stayed in at Beijing, here we are staying in a tiny local hotel in the Old Quarter of the city. Weather permitting we'll wander round the city on Thursday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Carys Fly CatcherCarys Fly Catcher
Carys Fly Catcher

Sleeping on delayed Vietnam Airlines flight


Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb