Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
August 8th 2013
Published: August 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our visit has coincided perfectly with the arrival of the tropical storm. We tried not to let the weather spoil our fun but the constant rain was tough to ignore and as a result we haven't done so much today. Our hotel is tiny but the room is very nice and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. We're in the old quarter which means the roads are narrow and dodging the motorbikes is challenging. The facts that there are literally millions of motorbikes, nobody follows any obvious rules of the road and the sidewalk/pavements are moped parks makes walking with kids a little nerve wracking!

We visited the Hoa Lo prison where John McCain, among many others, was held. A very grim place used as a prison long before the US-Vietnam war. The French influence was made clear by the presence of a guillotine. The displays related to American prisoners of war made it look like they had a great time while held in this jail. The propaganda was not subtle and I suspect the prisoners would tell a different version of events.

Heading to dinner shortly to plan tomorrow now that our plans for a trip out of town are being changed by the weather.

On that subject....a music quiz! Name the bands/singers behind these songs: Purple Rain; Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head; November Rain; Here Comes the Rain Again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



8th August 2013

Quiz #2
Prince, (way before my time.....and that is sayin' something), Gun's and Roses, and Eurythmics. But, I have to say...thanks a bunch for getting the song - raindrops keep falling on my head - in my head. you missed 'Laughter in the Rain' by N. Sedaka (i think). Such a bummer that you got caught in the tropical storm, but glad to see it is not dampening that Minnesota spirit. You can tackle anything Mother Nature is throwing at you! Love reading the blog with my morning coffee.
9th August 2013

Well done Deb....three of four correct, and you were fast on the button! Singing in the Rain was Gene Kelly, and I admit that I had to google that answer!
8th August 2013

Trivia...by Karin & Braden
Prince, Frank Sinatra (total guess) Guns 'n Roses, the Eurythmics
9th August 2013

Deb beat you to the punch today. And while I thought Frank Sinatra might have been right, it wasn't. Gene Kelly.
8th August 2013
Never in doubt!

Soggy Mum
Great pictures..... Unbelievable amount of rain! Looking forward to reading more about your adventure! Be well. Shawn
9th August 2013

Rain and stuff
Keep the news coming 'NSBC'. It is great reading. The most impressive rain I ever experienced was in India or Costa Rica, but I guess it must be pretty 'good' in that part of Asia which I do not know at all. Your blog is excellent. Bet you didn't pack wellies!! Butch Cassidy and the S-D Kid- seems just like yesterday- must be late 60's I guess. Love to you all. M/D/F-F
9th August 2013

The weather forecasts suggest high chance of rain for our entire trip with possible exception of Bali, so it looks like the plastic coats we bought yesterday will get plenty of use. Today was dry thankfully.
14th August 2013

Hi guys!
Just logged on for the first time and loving your blog! More more more please! Had a great time with Andy and AMU on the final leg of their trip in Europe (they are so happy about their impending arrival and had all the scan photos). Understand you will be seeing them in Sing and Bali - watch out for the snorting Gallianos....! Keep well and I will keep on reading!!!! lol Rob xxxx I think I got 3 out of 4 for your music quiz from Hanoi: Prince, some old bloke (Sinatra?), G&R and Eurythmics?
14th August 2013

Hi Rob! Good to hear from you and glad you're enjoying the blog. The trip is ridiculously good and we may never come back. Looking forward to seeing Andy and Anna Marie in a few days. Good going on the quiz. Gene Kelly, not Frankie S. It seems my question about Bangkok was too tough for everyone! Take care, NSBC. Xxx

Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb