Beijing day three


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 6th 2013
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After a ton of walking yesterday we tried to take it easier today. Weather here has been very hot and humid, and forecasts this morning threatened thunder storms but we got lucky and stayed dry. (Music quiz....name the band behind recent hit, Get Lucky, and tell me their nationality. No googling!)

First stop this morning was the Lama Budhist Temple. This visit was a definite hit with all of us. Amazing architecture and statues, lots of happy budhists, and far smaller crowds than we saw yesterday. The worlds largest Budha carved from a single tree stood there at 86 feet. Sand is thinking about converting to Budhism.

From there we went to the Drum and Bell Towers. Used to broadcast the time using, surprisingly enough, drums and bells. The steep stairs up the Drum Tower were daunting but views from above made it OK. We spied a nearby lake that became our next destination. It turned out to be a cool little area of bars, restaurants and shops called Hou Hai. Recommended for your next trip to Beijing. A rickshaw ride round the lake checked one more thing off the tourist list. Haggling for the price was an amusing combination of pointing at a map and typing numbers onto my phone. Not sure how I did but I enjoyed the haggling almost as much as the ride itself!

The kids continue to make friends with locals who want their picture. I've attached two examples. Is this how famous people feel about the paparazzi?

Tonight we visited the Wangfujing night food market. A wildly busy small alley where guys cook things like lizards, scorpions, starfish and crickets on sticks. The Minnesota State Fair has a lot of work to challenge these guys. I nearly got peed on by a small boy relieving himself on the street while his Mum bought a tasty insect. Charming! None of us were bold enough to eat any rodents or insects, but what they called "lamb" was pretty tasty.

Tomorrow we plan on a walk around Tianenmen Square before we head to the airport. Next stop Hanoi, Vietnam where it looks like we might meet Tropical Storm #10 that promises torrential rain and 50mph winds!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement




6th August 2013

Daft Punk
No idea about nationality. Maybe Brits?
6th August 2013

Music quiz winner (half, anyway!)
Right band, Karin. But wrong nationality. They're French. More quiz questions to follow!
6th August 2013

Try not to hold up any traffic in Tianenmen Square! Sounds like just the sight of Ben and Rocket will be enough to bring it to a standstill! Out of breath just reading about your whirlwind tour. The food in Vietnam is supposed to be awesome. Well Jel! Xxx
7th August 2013

Starfish on a stick!
I think you are on to something for the state fair Nick. No one has done that yet.
8th August 2013

Live scorpions on a stick might be a bit much for the health inspectors, so you're right...we"ll start with the starfish.

Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb