Yangon Explorer - Shwedagon Pagoda, the Strand Hotel and Sakura Tower (Aug 2015)


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Yangon Region » Yangon
August 9th 2015
Published: October 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, 9th August 2015

Happy 50th Birthday, Singapore.

Day three in Yangon. We were off to the Shwedagon Pagoda after breakfast this morning. Located about 2.5km north of the city centre, the temple was a short taxi ride from our hotel in downtown Yangon. Entry fees was a hefty 8,000 kyats for foreigners.

We passed by a few of the souvenir shops at the south gate before making our way to the temple. Surprisingly, the only determined touts we encountered were the flower sellers rather than the temple guides (reminded me of those street vendors that I encountered at the Guanyin Temple in Singapore).

It was a hot day when we visited but there were many sheltered spots for us to take cover from the sun. After paying my respects and taken the "been there, done that shot", I proceeded to find a comfortable spot to rest while H went around the temple complex on his own. It must be an hour later before he returned.

We headed back to the city centre in the afternoon before strolling to the Strand Hotel for our afternoon tea. Set against the colonial backdrop, this was a classy and enjoyable affair to while our cares away.

Our final stop for the day was a visit to the Sakura Tower Observation Deck for an evening view of the city. The Shwedagon Pagoda from afar cast an imposing presence against the backdrop of the setting sun.

To end the day, we headed to Chinatown again for the second consecutive night to pick up dinner and snacks along the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 80; dbt: 0.1523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb