Lions in the morning, Leopards at night, Part II


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
May 12th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

After a nice morning drive, were ready for the evening drive. Saw the national bird of Zambia--the African Fish Eagle. BJ calls it the time keeper because it supposedly calls out on the half hour and hour. The ones we heard were a little off but hey.

Saw a juvenile Tawny Eagle. Of course, BJ makes you think about what you are seeing and call out features before he gives you the answer. There were 17 elephants that crossed the road
in front of us that was a nice sight to see. This time of year you do not have the great herds that are seen as the area becomes dryer and dryer. Saw Jason and Lisa and they asked BJ if we had seen the mating leopards. Of course were just kidding!

Saw an elephant shrew before it was time for our sundowner. We had fixed some veggie pancakes to eat for dinner because eating at 8:30 pm is not good for our digestive system. Had some carrot sticks to eat as well and they turned out to be quite delicious.

Had just started on our spot lighting part of our evening when a very large male leopard had come down to get a drink. Got to watch him briefly before he disappeared into the bush. Wish we could have got him drinking.

Then we saw some genet and civet and then another male leopard. We got to watch him for a longer time than the other one and he was quite impressive. Drove on further to see what we could see and got to see a bushy tailed mongoose off in the forest. Then George said something to BJ and he backed up and most amazing thing to see......a crocodile walking through the forest. Yikes! They do this sometimes to move from one place of water to another but they also sometimes will hide in the forest and wait for a small antelope to come by and grab it. Something to think about as we walk around Wildlife Camp!

Then our third leopard for the evening, a young female. We had seen another vehicle looking at her and we hurried over there and she had disappeared and then George found her on the side of the road. What an amazing evening we had.




Additional photos below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A Three Leopard Night !A Three Leopard Night !
A Three Leopard Night !

George the spotter looking for leopard!


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb