Lions in am, Leopards at night!


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
May 12th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

Went on another fun filled game drive this time with BJ. Saw four elephants in the GMA(game management area) on the way out. They did not seem to mind us. We also spotted a lizard buzzard before heading into the park.

One of the first sights was one of those not so usual sightings, a hammerkop nest with a bee swarm underneath it. BJ said this was extra protection for the hammerkop. Saw a group of waterbuck hiding in the forest.

Then we found some lions. At first thought it was a mating pair of lions but then saw it was one male and two female. BJ said they were part of the pride of nine lions but had separated from them for awhile.

Told us an interesting story of the female ground hornbill. When it is times for her to lay her eggs she finds a hole in a tree, gets in it, and then seals up the hole. She is fed through an opening by the male until the eggs hatch.

Pointed out the leadwood tree which has termite resistent wood and is as the name implies, a very hard wood. The villagers use the ash from a leadwood fire to whitewash their homes to make them termite resistant.

We were heading to near the Big Baobab tree to have our tea time when we drove around a corner and there was Ginger's brother and a female lion mating. We were the first to discover them and got some nice pictures before the other cars arrived.

Saw the African gray hornbill and the red billed buffalo weavers as we went and checked out the Big Baobab tree . It was confirmed that the villagers use the fruit from the baobab tree to make a drink that tastes a lot like lemonade.

Saw zebra, brown snake eagle and were given our homework assignment by BJ. This is a standing joke with us. Once he found we were former teachers, he felt he needed to have a question for us to find out the answer to from one of the barman studying to become a guide.



Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Game drive morning Game drive morning
Game drive morning

crossing the bridge into the park
Game drive morning Game drive morning
Game drive morning

impala jousting
Game drive morning Game drive morning
Game drive morning

buffalo skull....learned some interesting facts about these skulls


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb