Looking up at 7 Lions, Leopard hunt -All Day James


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
July 29th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

Since it was just Dora, Sue, Albert and us we left pretty much on time. Dora had decided we wouldhead in the general direction of Lion Camp. We drove over near the river where we had seen the lions from the bush camp side and there they were lying about here and there. At first it was hard to see and then started spotting them scattered about. Once again, they are so easy to overlook if they are lying down and hidden by a some of the grasses. As we were driving over, we saw some ground hornbill that surprised us by flying away from us. They were quite beautiful to see.

While we were watching up drives this huge overland looking truck that is just for individuals. Dora is incensed. Rightly so, since they were told they were to stay on main roads and not travel on the untarred roads which is where we were. She was also angry because of the fines the "real guides" from the camp get for an infraction but nothing is done to fine private vehicles.
When we got back to the main gate, she went in and reported them and showed them a picture of the vehicle down on the sand.

The lions got up and started moving and we were able to follow them as they headed down to the sand beside the river. Unfortunately the big overland vehicle followed down onto the sand. Kept hoping they would get stuck. While we were watching them on the sand, looked up and there were seven lions up on the cliff looking down at all the safari vehicles. Such a beautiful sight. They almost looked like they were posing. Got several nice shots and then decided to leave them to their contemplation and move on.

There were some vultures down on the sand finding something they were interested in. A fish eagle had joined them and were quite the interesting sight. We watched them for awhile and then decided to move on.

We then headed back up out of the sand and were driving along when Sue suddenly said, "there is a leopard" and sure enough it was heading our way. James, of course, had seen it earlier and was just waiting to see when we would spot it. He was heading in its general direction when Sue spotted it. Actually, he was waiting to give Dora a hard time for taking so long to spot it! James seems to have an uncanny ability to find the cats.

We followed the leopard for awhile backing up as necessary and unfortunately when the leopard came right by our vehicle, I had my camera ready and when the leopard appeared, turned my camera off! What a shame. The most interesting thing was when the leopard was spotted by the impala and puku, theyboth began to make their alarm calls and the impala moved off and the puku started following the leopard just like we were. Guess that is "keeping your enemy in sight" in the animal world. James said it was a female about 5 years of age and we left her to continue her hopes of finding something to hunt.

Headed through an area that was forested and there was an elephant on top of a very tall termitmound eating from a tree that it could not reach from the ground. So very funny to see. We then spent some time following lion tracks but then we went elsewhere looking for other game.

Drove through the ebony forest and there was a group with cooks in aprons, building a fire, tables with tablecloths and the whole nine yards. Pretty sure it was a Norman Carr safari vehicle. We continued on and got to see an immature fish eagle up close. It did not have all the coloration of an adult and James said they usually do not get all their coloration until after seven years.

Saw some marabou stork fishing and then stopped under a baobab tree and got to taste the flavor of the baobab fruit. It was very interesting. You break it open and there are these chunks of pale flesh that you just suck on and it has a nice lemony flavor to it. Albert and Sue said they have made lemonade from it.

A real treat for the day next. We came upon a group of Cookson Wildebeest. They are only found in the South Luangwa area. They are a more tan color than the other wildebeest. They like the Thornicroft giraffe and Cranshaii zebra are only found here so it was a real treat to get to see them.

Now it was time for lunch and the place Dora like to eat was taken by Gavin's group no less. Went to her second choice and it was also taken. She was sure she would starve to death, was getting hangry as we call it, when James assured her we were just one minute away from a great place and sure enough we got to a nice spot that was well shaded with view of the river, lots of elephants and hippos and so we got set up.

Lunch was cold chicken, cheeses, cold meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, bread and home made cookies. We all enjoyed sitting up the trees filling up before we continued on our exploration of the park.

The rest of the afternoon we enjoyed more of the "general" game that was as beautiful as the ones that people seem to HAVE to see. Headed back to camp and fixed a salad with tuna and had a few drinks at the bar before heading to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 167, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb