Arrived in Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga
June 8th 2019
Published: June 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

GiraffeGiraffeGiraffe

Saw this one on raid from airport to camp
After a pretty uneventful red eye (Note: the food on South African Airlines was outstanding), we landed in Johannesburg, changed planes and found ourselves at the Heodspruit airport which was very homey for an airport. More like a log cabin than what you’d traditionally think of. But the staff was very efficient and helpful and we were on our way with our driver within 10 minutes of landing.

On our drive to the camp, our drivers kept an eye out for wild life and we were fortunate to see on the 45 minute drive to our camp giraffes, elephants, zebra, mongoose, eagles and impala (referred to by our driver as “McDonalds” because they’re everywhere and everyone eats them.

Arrived at the camp in a bit of a daze. Camp is a simplified term for it as we have brick buildings and our room has a great shower, stand-alone tub and a king size bed. And air conditioning.

We sat out in the veranda and s herd of impala came to the camp watering hole. A bit later, 3 elephants came by demanding that the camp owner turn on the fresh water for them. After the elephants were a group of warthogs that played in it a bit.

After our buffet lunch, we went on our first official game drive with our guide, HJ. It was a quiet night but we saw s herd of 100 Cape buffalo, zebra, impala, spring bok, and some hornbills. One of the guides found s leopard kill hanging in a tree so we hoped to see the leopard but no luck.

Back at camp for a shower and dinner....and a. G&T...before we completely collapse from exhaustion. Up tomorrow for a game drive post at 6:00!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb