MLILWANE WILDLIFE SANCTUARY IN THE KINGDOM OF SWAZILAND TO BERG-EN-DAL REST CAMP, KRUGER NATIONAL PARK, SOUTH AFRICA--Wednesday, March 19, 2014


Advertisement
Published: August 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary in the Kingdom of Swaziland to Berg-en-Dal Rest Camp, Kruger National Park. 185 km (115 miles) Wednesday, March 19th.

We left camp fairly early, as it will be a hard drive today. Headed out of camp on a different road to the front gate. This road was in slightly better condition. At the highway, we turned left, and continued toward Mbabane towards the MR-3. Soon we were on a newish highway with overhead crossing walkways. Wonder if they can show the cows and goats how to use them?? Crossed through the outskirts of the City of Mbabane, which is the Capitol of the country. Started our climb up into the mountains and although directional signs pointed off to the Royal Residence, we never saw anything from the road that looked like a Royal Residence. All signs are in English, not in two different languages as they were in South Africa–sometimes the other language was Zulu and sometimes Afrikaans.

After about 25 km, we left the freeway at exit 4, and started climbing to Piggs Peak. The Peak is the highest in Swaziland at 3,471 feet above sea level. Along the side of the road here and there, were stalls with craftsmen selling carved rock statues/images that were quite nice looking from where I could see them. We dropped down and crossed the very full Nkomazi River and then started climbing up the other side. Lots of planted forests here with several different kinds of trees, not all a type of pine.

Stopped on the way down the other side for a break at a Craft center. At the coffee shop/café Valerie had some carrot cake and I had scones and some drinks. There was a nice view out over the valley below from the patio here. After we finished, we wandered back to the RV looking at the very nice shops and the items for sale. At a shop specializing in the handwork of Swazi women, we bought some small flat crafts--earrings and bracelets woven out of sisal.

When we reached the Swazi Border, we parked and got out, walked inside a small building, and got our passports and a piece of paper, stamped. We watched a woman walk with a quart carton of milk, balanced on her head, cross through the borders. We returned to the RV, and drove through the gate, handed the guard our stamped piece of paper, and then drove to the South African side, Jepps Reef, and got out to get everything stamped again and to be given another piece of paper to hand to another guard at that gate. Wonder what they do with all these 3" x 6" roughly, pieces of paper they collect on a daily basis–do they tally them somewhere??? and what on earth for??? I guess if you don’t line everyone up to cross, one at a time, like on the US border, you have to have some indication to the guard that the paperwork was in order, so you can now cross.

We are now on R-570 heading right for the Malelane Gate of the Kruger National Park. Arrived there, and got out at the entrance to get the paperwork done, and was issued a document booklet. We turned left for the Berg-en-dal camping area. We saw many European rollers sitting on the wires as we drove in and right as we passed the entrance into the Rest Camp, we saw an African Grey Hornbill sitting in the trees lining the road. Set our camp up in a rather dry sandy area under some thorny trees and then left our chairs out to mark our spot and headed for the camp base area and hopefully, some cooler air.

We drove past some very nice looking bungalows for people to stay in and then drove over to the camp reception office, to check out the park’s game tours. We discovered that they cost only about $20 per person, so we signed up for a sunset drive that started out at 4:00 that afternoon. We then walked over to the restaurant and had a late lunch. The sandwiches were served on a board “plank” like a cheese board and I wondered how they ran those through an industrial dishwasher. ?? Not very likely, I would think.

It was still so hot, after finishing our meal, that we walked over to the reception area and sat there in the air conditioned room until it was time to get onto the “Safari” jeep. As we made our way out on the road we had come in on, we waved at several of our group as one by one they passed us in their RV’s heading back into camp.

We had an interesting drive with the most exciting thing being a female hyena with her cubs (we think there were 3) following along behind her. After the sun went down, search-lights were turned on, and held by a passenger on each side of the jeep, to see if anyone could spot anything moving. We did see a number of wildlife standing in the middle or on the side of the road–a Spotted Eagle-owl, several Spotted Thick-Knees, and some Scrub Hares. It was interesting that the guide said the hares see their shadow from the headlights and then run right into the jeep’s path to “get away”. He drove with his headlights off several times to pass the hares that were “frozen” on the side of the road.

The guide/driver drove the jeep back to through the camp gate and into the parking lot where we left the RV. We were a bit disappointed in this ride as the driver really just drove and the animal spotting was done by the passengers unless the animal crossed right in front of him. A really good drive would be to have two people; a driver and an animal guide/ranger who knows what habitat to find the animals in, in the park. We then returned to the camp spot, plugged in the electricity and called it a night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.582s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1125s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb