Bird Nerds, the Big 5 & the Ugly 5... Africa!


Advertisement
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo » Sabi Sand
October 9th 2018
Published: October 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

“There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne - bubbling over with heartfelt gratitude for being alive.” - Karen Blixen Being from the U.S., we’ve come quite a ways to take in African wildlife so we decided to stay at two safari camps in South Africa and one in Botswana. This is not unusual at all from th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The elusive hippoThe elusive hippo
The elusive hippo

They have sun sensitive skin so they stay in the water during the day.
Night driveNight drive
Night drive

We'd just finished our coffee when we realized he was in our neighborhood.
We were making him skttishWe were making him skttish
We were making him skttish

We left right after this to give him some peace.
ReflectionsReflections
Reflections

Do you think I look fat?
Another leopard pictureAnother leopard picture
Another leopard picture

Such beautiful creatures
Rhino and friendRhino and friend
Rhino and friend

Symbiotic relationship as the bird eats ticks on the rhino
A wildebeestA wildebeest
A wildebeest

Funky punk rock mane
Making friendsMaking friends
Making friends

They seem unpredictable
Most famous poseMost famous pose
Most famous pose

Zebras always, always turn away.



21st October 2018

Wonderful photos
Sounds like a fantastic trip! Loved your photos!
22nd October 2018

Wonderful photos
Thank you for following along and commenting. We have seen some amazing things on this trip.
21st October 2018

Hiya Bird Nerds! I'm just back from my holidays and I can see, you are already several blogs ahead! I look forward to catching up. Pumbas, stargazing, and Amarula! Some of my endless favourite things about Africa. So glad you are having an Epic trip. Oh to have lived at the time of Karen Blixen in Kenya. Such a magical place.
22nd October 2018

Bird nerds and more
Just saw your Morocco blog... we will be reading that very soon. We are having a grand time. Thanks for following along. It won’t take you long to get caught up. Travel fulfills the soul. So many magical animals, experiences and stars.
21st October 2018

the Big 5 & the Ugly 5!
wow. quite an array of wildlife you have seen in this trip. the big 5 and the ugly 5 :) . well ugly is subjective I guess! warthogs can look funny! giraffes, lions, the big tuskers, rhinos, and plenty of sightings of the elusive leopards. Seeing them in the wild must have felt real good!
22nd October 2018

The big 5 & the ugly 5
You are correct that we have been fortunate to witness some amazing animals and watch them going about their daily activities. They do seen used to the vehicles. Africa is an amazing place. Thank you for following along and commenting.
22nd October 2018

Amarula
Wow! Amazing images and words. That is a part of the world like nowhere else - the wildlife is outstanding! I am glad you took full advantage of your time at the lodges with bird walks and night safaris. There is so much more to these regions than the big five in perfect light... I will also go on the hunt for some Amarula. D
22nd October 2018

Amarula
This trip has been all that I wanted and more. The people of South Africa are kind and pleasant to be around. So many different ways to find an array of interesting animals. Thanks for commenting.
22nd October 2018

How Exciting
What a great adventure! As usual, beautiful photos.
23rd October 2018

How exciting
Thanks Bob for following and commenting. This trip was planned for a long time and we are having a blast. MJ
22nd October 2018
Don't mess with me I'm a Rhino

Rhino
My elder sister was involved with a project years ago to bring white rhinos to northern Australia in an attempt to save the species. It did not eventuate. Happy to see the safari parks have them alive and well. What a beauty. Definitely 5 stars.
23rd October 2018
Don't mess with me I'm a Rhino

Rhino
Sorry your sisters project didn’t work out but they are doing well here. We saw many, many rhinos. They are amazing animals.
22nd October 2018
Love the leopards

Leopards
When we did our Kenya to South Africa safari 10 years ago I was so nervous I would get robbed I only had a pocket camera while the others on our trip had massive cameras with telephotos to die for. Did I thus rob myself by being nervous? This pic makes it so clear what a good camera can deliver. Brilliant pic. What a birthday treat you are having MJ. Yet I was robbed of all my money and passport while no one lost their money or massive cameras. Mustn't grumble...the adventures it led to were priceless.
23rd October 2018
Love the leopards

Leopards
Sorry for your loss of photos, money and valuables. Travel can be uncertain. Fortunately we could lock our valuables up at camp. We are using 3 different cameras. I will include that information in the next blog. Thanks for following along and commenting. MJ
22nd October 2018

Catching up...
Logged into TB after an absence and I'm so thrilled to read about your beautiful animal encounters. The story of the baby impala was harrowing, but such is life in the great wild... survival of the fittest genetically and quite literally :( You seemed to have picked a great time of year and fabulous safari companies for animal viewing on this trip - I'll definitely have to ask you lots of questions when we get around to visiting southern Africa.
23rd October 2018

Catching up
We have used a South African expert to guide us in our quest for the best adventure and she has delivered. She grew up in South Africa and specializes in adventure travel around the world but a specialty in all things Africa. We’ve seen some amazing animals in a short period of time. These guides know exactly where to look. They have a friendly network. A few years back photographer and travel blogger Mike Turner told us that in Africa it is one of the few places you get what you pay for so we took his advice and went for the better reserves.
23rd October 2018

Amarula
And I forgot to mention that Amarula is always available in our bottle shops - right next to the Baileys. It was popular over here for a little while about 10-15 years ago, but I don't think they managed to capture the Baileys market as they intended...
23rd October 2018

Amarula
I’m hoping to find it in our stores also... I’ve never looked but will be next week.
24th October 2018

Can't wait to follow in your footsteps!
Wow! You really brought the experience to life, can't wait to visit Africa. We discovered Amarula some years ago and it remains a firm favourite for us!
24th October 2018

Follow in our footsteps
Emma and Marie, we hope your trip to Africa is sooner than later as it offers such amazing experiences. We hope to have Amarula to offer you when you come visit us. The quiet moments in Africa watching these amazing animals speaks to your soul. Simply amazing. Thanks for commenting.
26th October 2018

Poor baby impala !!
My heart goes for the baby impala. It trusted the leopard and after playing for a while the beast killed it in front of the mother. What a sadistic attitude! I am not going to spare one this time I am visiting Tanzania. I have not forgotten my Tsavo night...I have to settle the score...
26th October 2018

Poor baby impala
Indeed. The baby just didn't know any better. It was hard for all of us to watch as we knew the outcome. After about 40 minutes we told our guide we didn't need to stay and watch it happen. The other vehicle opted to stay. Have a great trip and we will follow along.
26th October 2018
Love the leopards

That's beautiful
Beautiful picture of a beautiful animal. We can totally understand why you love the safaris. We have been on a few ourselves and we love them too. /Ake
27th October 2018
Love the leopards

That’s beautiful
A safari is one of those things you think about doing and know you will like but until you are sitting a few feet away from these majestic animals you don’t realize their magnificence. MJ
26th October 2018
Don't mess with me I'm a Rhino

Favourite
Of all the wild animals in Africa probably the rhino is our favourite. Mainly because they are hunted so fiercely. /Ake
27th October 2018
Don't mess with me I'm a Rhino

Favorite
They are massive and amaizing animals. We are sad the poaching continues but happy it has decreased enormously. Hopefully, they will survive and people will become more educated.
11th November 2018

Amazing Photos!
Truly amazing photos, MJ and Dave ? I'm so pleased to read that you got to see so many animals. The leopard and baby impala story was truly heartbreaking to read, but I guess that is the nature of the beast really. Amazed to see so many leopard photos, these are indeed rare sightings. What a truly special significant-birthday trip for you both ?
13th November 2018

Amazing photos!
Thank you for the compliment. We always attempt to take photos and it is nice in Africa. We appreciate you following along and commenting. The animals were amazing. I'm still in shock that we saw so many leopards. We celebrated our birthdays for a month... it was great. MJ
1st December 2018

G&T time
What with gin and tonic, hot choc and Amarulla and fabulous food... it must’ve been heaven , and then on top,of that you had all those animals . Perfect safari ...I better start saving up my pennies when I get back from this trip !
1st December 2018

G&T
Lots of fabulous food and drinks. I felt pampered. The animals were endlessly amazing. If you are interested I can send you the name of our travel agent. This is her specialty area.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 25; qc: 30; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb