Shoestrings Airport Lodge to Adventure Backpackers


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
May 30th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -26.1951, 28.0339

Landed at OR Tambo airport and cleared customs with no problems and all our luggage was waiting for us. Went to the MTN shop and got some data bundles for use in the park. From there out to the car rental place where we got things settled up and went out to get the car. Not a POLO VIVO but a Honda of similar size except for the trunk. The supply bag would not fit in the way we wanted to leave room for the cooler box.

So, after convincing a man who was trying to load our things up and a "real" employee of the car rental company helping me find a POLO VIVO with manual transmission that was not rented out. Took our contract back down and asked to change to the VIVO. They were a little miffed but did the exchange and we then got things loaded into the car. Since we are using this car for five weeks and the trunk is the kitchen area, tend to be particular about what we want!

Sad to say, got lost on the way to Shoestrings Airport Lodge but thanks to GPS, we were able to correct our errors. Got there, and got unloaded and hugs all around. Then Rob took us to get some wine, tomatoes, avocadoes, and a few other things at a small shop around the corner.

Back to Shoestrings where we fixed a meal from cheese and crackers from the flight, fresh tomatoes, avocado, some fresh grapefruit from Tabitha. Visited with Rob and Tabitha until she was off to bed. Then great discussion about the state of politics in the US (much to Rob's glee) and then off to bed.

The next morning after a quick breakfast got things loaded up and were on our way. Thanks once again to the GPS, we were able to clear the city and be on our way. Made good time and got to Nelspruit to do our shopping. Did not quite buy out the store but sure did get a lot of dry goods for the month plus in Kruger.

Found the Hazyview Backpackers and got ourselves checked in and got a shower before it got dark. Had Greek salad and Vegetarian pizza for dinner that was delicious. Visited with the owners and some of the other people staying there. Then off to bed for an early start.



Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb