Hungry hippo, Magnificent Nyala, Hard to See Lions


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
June 2nd 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9895, 31.5857

Up and on the road fairly early and made it through the small villages to enter through Numbi gate. There was no one else in line so it went fairly well. On the way to Skukuza we did see four rhinos! Great welcome to the park.

Got to Skukuza and went to the campsite and our favorite spot was just being emptied!!! Waited until they left and then we moved right in. Did a walk around the camp as we went to check in.
Did an inventory of all the things we had purchased and put them in a logical order in the trunk and then everyone was happy!

When we went to sign in, we checked with reception and there was an extra hut available at Olifants for the day before Robert's birthday. We decided to change our one day at Lower Sabie for this extra night at Olifants so we would have more flexibility for the bicycle ride at Olifants we were going to sign up for. Got the date changed only to find out the guided bicycle rides had been cancelled because the area they usually went is "hot spot" for poachers. Is this true or not? Do not know but no bicycle ride for us.

Did an evening drive and headed down toward the Sabie River. We got to the Sand River crossing and saw something we had never seen before. There was a hippo in the river and he was browsing on the tree branches above the river. Something to see!

Saw buffalo at one of the waterholes and then two lions on the sand at the edge of the river that were not very easy to see but all in the game! Came back to camp and fixed a nice stir fry with some of the left over chicken from our lunch the day before. Visited with some of the people that came to the kitchen area to wash their dishes. Must always mention in one of the first stories about Kruger, they have kitchen areas all over the campground with one to two electric hotplates, two sinks with hot water and best of all a hot water boiler that allows you to make quick and easy press coffee!

The ablution blocks are also great. Two to three showers and two to three bath tubs free of charge,whereas in most parks in United States you must pay for the shower, and one to two coin operated washer and dryers with a clothesline outside as well! What a grerat thing to have in all of the camps except for the ones that do not have electricity! At the Melalane and Letaba camps they have a convection oven/microwave as well!

After a nice day and evening in the park we were ready to crash and get ready for our first full day in the park!



Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb