Saturday 5th November 2016


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
November 11th 2016
Published: November 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Got up today to another sunny morning but cooler than of late. We first went down the road to try and get a glimpse of the Garub wild dessert horses. We could see a few quite near but they didn't come very close. There were loads more further away. But some ostrich and an oryx came right up to the waterhole in front of us. Went into Aus for diesel. It is a pretty little town on a hill with a petrol station, an hotel, little church and a few shops. The houses were the most we have seen for a long while. The roads were better today. We crossed a railway line several times but didn't see a train. We passed through a dip today which actually had water in it near a dam. Lots of cultivation going on, vines and fruit trees. We stopped at Canyon Roadhouse for lunch and Simon enjoyed all the old cars there and machinery, even a tractor. Then we made our way to Fish River Canyon, very spectacular and stretching for miles. It's the second or third largest in the world after the Grand Canyon. Lovely views all around.Then made way to Ai-Ais camp site, the last to arrive, worst part of the road at the end. The site was in a ravine with hot springs. A gale blew up and we had our evening meeting in the camp kitchen. It was too windy to eat outside so everyone soon batted down the hatches. I had a late swim in the pool heated from the springs which was lovely in the cool evening.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb