Namibia - My Trip to the Namib Desert and back ...


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
May 28th 2007
Published: May 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It was with a very heavy heart that I left this beloved country behind but decided to give Namibia a go for 12 days...ok, so I lasted only 8 days but I still managed to fit a lot in!

The first day saw us depart Cape Town heading north for the Cederberg Mountain region. We stayed here for the night, but choose to give the camping a miss for the first night. We felt we needed time to aclimatise. The second day saw us travelling further north through Namaqualand before hitting the Orange/Gariep River, where South Africa meets Namibia. Here we pitched our tents for the night and I spent the evening wrapped up inside my sleeping bag trying to keep warm!

We crossed the border into Namibia on our third day and headed for the Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon in the world. No prizes for guessing what the largest one is! We watched the sun setting over the canyon before pitching our tents again for the night and "enjoying" another cold night under canvas!

An early start saw us continue further north into the remote Namibian hinterland. Nothing for miles... We arrived at base camp in the early afternoon and enjoyed a walk through the Sesriem Canyon. It was an early night all round as we were to be up before dawn the following day...

We headed out of base camp at 5.30am and drove into the Namib-Naukluft National Park where we hiked up Dune 45 to enjoy our visit views over the Namib Desert! After recovering from the hike up the dune, and my disgust at having to be up so bloody early, I am pleased to report that it was all worth it...the views were magnificent!

After enjoying a cooked breakfast and emptying my shoes of the half the desert sand, we enjoyed a three hour guided hike into Sossusvlei, part of the Namib Desert.

The following day saw us drive through the arid Namib-Naukluft, crossing the Tropic of Capricorn, before arriving in Walvis Bay for lunch and to see the flamingoes! After lunch we headed up the Skeleton Coast to the seaside town of Swakopmund where we would be based for the weekend!

Whilst everyone else in the group got their fill of adrenalin-charged activities, I, having decided I'd already had my fill in New Zealand, decided to head out into the local townships to get a flavour of what life is really like for the majority of Namibians. I really enjoyed my day, playing with the children, drinking with the locals in the Shebeens and getting to grips with some of the issues they grapple with on a daily basis!

Having decided that I could no longer bare another week with my Geman travelling companions, I decided to bid them an "Auf Wiedersehn" and head back to Cape Town, where my heart really belongs....

All in all a worthwhile trip and my German improved tenfold!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Namib DesertThe Namib Desert
The Namib Desert

... at sunrise.
The Namib DesertThe Namib Desert
The Namib Desert

... at sunrise.
Dune 45Dune 45
Dune 45

... at 5.45am!
Playing around with the camera...Playing around with the camera...
Playing around with the camera...

my very own Windows XP background!
Cederburg MountainsCederburg Mountains
Cederburg Mountains

The Western Cape. En route to Namibia.
Orange River at SunsetOrange River at Sunset
Orange River at Sunset

... where South Africa meets Namibia
Orange River Orange River
Orange River

... where South Africa meets Namibia
Fish River CanyonFish River Canyon
Fish River Canyon

Southern Africa's answer to the Grand Canyon
Fish River CanyonFish River Canyon
Fish River Canyon

... at sunset.
On the road...On the road...
On the road...

...the Namibian Wilderness
The Namibian HinterlandThe Namibian Hinterland
The Namibian Hinterland

... nothing for miles!


29th May 2007

Bless
Its hard to believe that i moan about such alot when infact those childen have so very little. Looks amazing!!
29th May 2007

holey moley!
Just when i think that your photo's can't possibly get better!! Looks amazing and can't wait to hear all the stories you've got! x
29th May 2007

amazing
Hi neil - photos are absolutely amazing - who cares you cut the trip a bit short, looks like you saw loads anyway! certainly brightened up my rain and essay-filled day in edinburgh! take care and enjoy the next few weeks. lots of love xx
30th May 2007

Wow!
Absolutely amazing photos Neil! Thanks for your email, take care and enjoy the last little bit of your trip xoxo
31st May 2007

Who needs a day job
Who needs a day job when you can take photos like these!!! Good call on skipping the adrenalin for the countryside, I bet it was a real eye-opener. Thanks for the update!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb