Flamingo Lake, Flamingo Hill


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Lake Nakuru NP
November 3rd 2008
Published: November 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Once we got to Flamingo Lodge and checked in, we left on our first safari drive. The lake has no outlets, and it is very salty. The park is heavily wooded, with a large open area by the lake. Many trees blew down in a wind storm a few years ago, and you can see the devastation still.

The first animal we came across was a leopard in a tree. It was hard to see, but it is rare to see them at all...and it turned out that this would be our only leopard viewing during the trip, so we were lucky!

Next we went down by the lake, and got out and walked along the shore. It is safe there, if the rhinos aren't around. The flamingos and pelcans are in the thousands! As we watched, Simon, our guide, noticed pelicans arriving from the hills. The line of birds went on for a mile it seemed..like an invading army someone said. It was amazing!

Next we drove around and saw the hooved animals, and then came upon the rhino! He was absolutely huge...like a tank...or a dinosaur!

We also saw hyenas before heading back. Yoiu have to leave the parks by 6:30, or the driver gets fined. On the way out we came across baboons in the road....getting ready to go into the tress for the night.

The camp we stayed in was beautiful, with delicious food. At night I could hear baboons, hyenas, and maybe a leopard!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The groundsThe grounds
The grounds

The park is just outside the fence!
A hidden leopardA hidden leopard
A hidden leopard

Can you see it sleeping in the tree?


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb