Alexandria/Cairo 26th Dec - Day 1


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
December 28th 2009
Published: December 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,

Well what a full two days we had mainly in Cairo!! First of all we were up at 5.30am and ready to hit the buses at 6.45am - which we all did - about 15 busloads - couldn't leave Alexandria Port until the fog lifted around 11am!! Horrible for a lot of people who were going to different places and had their trips cancelled.

It took 3 hours to get to Cairo - thank God it was an overnight stay - a 6 hour round trip would've been horrendous! While in Alexandria I was offered 2 camels for John - at this stage I sent SMSs to his kids asking what I should do - well the answers were hilarious - from - Would I settle for one? - another said - Take it!! and the other said two camels with two humps would be better.

Anyway on to Cairo - the bus driver was nicknamed Gelignite Jack with the amount of take overs and cutting cars, trucks and buses off - was incredible. There are no real road rules - first in best dressed seems to be the order of the day. Now I can understand why every car we saw was covered in dents, or had at least a few. What we saw during the trip was so much filth, rubbish everywhere. While going alongside the canal we saw 2 pick up trucks on their sides in the canal, a dead cow and a few other dead animals. the rubbish in the streets and the canals was absolutely amazing. The people were everywhere with many walking and others riding donkeys and carts being pulled by donkeys. Many beggars in the streets and around where we stopped.... what a surprise......

We went to the National Museum of Cairo - our Guide for the whole trip had a Masters Degree in Egyptology and Archaelogy...... he demanded that we listen to his every word no matter where we went and would ask us questions on things he had told us....





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



30th December 2009

Camels
From our point of view offering 2 Camels for Mitch was way overpriced. Glad to see you are enjoying the trip. Photos are great. Stay safe. Will continue watching for more comments.
30th December 2009

Re: Camels
It's a buoyant market over here and prices are higher for Camels that is.

Tot: 0.028s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb