Valley of the Giants
Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Valley of the Giants
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Valley of the Giants
Latest Blogs from Valley of the Giants
- February 29th 2012 In the Valley of the Giants
by Words: 618 Photos: 16
- April 13th 2011 Walking In The Air
by Words: 1305 Photos: 25
- January 13th 2011 Valley of the giants
by Words: 221 Photos: 52
- November 21st 2007 Facing New Heights and Fears
by Words: 1017 Photos: 35
- April 7th 2007 Tingle All Over
by Words: 200 Photos: 3
- April 6th 2007 Entering the Valley of the Giants
by Words: 290 Photos: 6
- March 25th 2007 The Bib
by Words: 557 Photos: 0
- December 31st 2006 Valley of the Giants
by Words: 432 Photos: 16
- August 3rd 2006 Its not the falling that hurts.....its the hitting the ground!!
by Words: 273 Photos: 0
- March 26th 2006 Nullarbor and more
by Words: 1401 Photos: 6
- January 5th 2006 Tree Top Walk
by Words: 237 Photos: 2
- December 5th 2005 Tingle all over!
by Words: 301 Photos: 14
- June 22nd 2005 Lots of trees!
by Words: 143 Photos: 11