Entering the Valley of the Giants


Advertisement
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Set off on our journey west to Walpole. First stop was Mount Melville to get one last view of Albany before we left. Great views from the observation tower of the turquoise waters off Albany's coastline. On the way to Denmark (a town - not the country!) stopped for lunch at the outstanding beach of Greens Pool. (Unfortunately being school hols & an outstanding beach, everybody else was there too!) However if you walk round to Elephant Rocks you will find another fantastic cove with clear turquoise water, white soft sand and a much quieter beach - yippee! We sat on a rock & contemplated swimming & although the water wasn't too cold we thought we'd better head on to see more beautiful things! One of our favourite places though.

As we headed away from Albany the landscape changed to forests filled with tall trees and dense bush vegetation - we were entering the Valley of the Giants....

The giant Tingle Tree is the largest known girthed eucalypt in the world and is the 3rd tallest hardwood tree. This afternoon we had the opportunity to get a birds view of the canopy form the tree top walk - a
Elephant RocksElephant RocksElephant Rocks

beautiful turquoise waters
metal walkway 40m high, & enabled us to gain a perspective of the actual size of these trees. The bridge moved quite a bit as it is only supported by vertical structures at specific points. Then we walked through the forest and saw a giant red tingle tree with a huge hollow base. Great views and a feeling of being within the heart of the forest habitat.

Another busy day so headed to our hostel in Walpole & cooked in the dark as they had a powercut - seem to get a lot of these lately!





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Tree Top WalkTree Top Walk
Tree Top Walk

Incredible heights


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb