Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Blogs from Cronulla
Latest Blogs from Cronulla
- May 3rd 2013 The Road to the IE
by Words: 1099 Photos: 26
- March 14th 2013 My First Days as a Divemaster
by Words: 979 Photos: 17
- March 7th 2013 The Beauty Below
by Words: 887 Photos: 38
- February 22nd 2013 From Past to Present
by Words: 1042 Photos: 22
- February 11th 2013 My First Days Down Unda
by Words: 911 Photos: 16
- September 13th 2011 First trip to the beach
by Words: 127 Photos: 6
- December 23rd 2010 My longgg walk in Cronulla!!
by Words: 709 Photos: 17
- December 14th 2010 Five girls, some goon, the beach and a cockraoch!!
by Words: 784 Photos: 0
- March 18th 2010 We got the van and we are off!
by Words: 696 Photos: 2
- December 23rd 2008 Cronulla and The Phone Call!!!
by Words: 1084 Photos: 3
- December 21st 2008 Chillin in Cronulla
by Words: 1383 Photos: 2
- July 28th 2008 1 wEEK TO GO
by Words: 62 Photos: 0
- July 24th 2008 2008 Adventure - UK, Paris,EGYPT,Jordan,Thailand
by Words: 91 Photos: 0
- March 29th 2008 A day at the beach and gardens
by Words: 79 Photos: 9
- November 18th 2007 Justine's 18th Birthday Party
by Words: 130 Photos: 8
- November 9th 2007 Cronulla Beach
by Words: 53 Photos: 4
- October 31st 2007 Down the Gold Coast and Back in Sydney!
by Words: 1345 Photos: 6
- August 5th 2007 Cronulla
by Words: 4 Photos: 16
- March 8th 2007 Getting Exciting
by Words: 3 Photos: 0
- January 21st 2007 website mental
by Words: 224 Photos: 7