Background: Great Britain, the dominant industrial and maritime power of the 19th century, played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. At its zenith, the British Empire stretched over one-fourth of the earth's surface. The first half of the 20th century saw the UK's strength seriously depleted in two World Wars. The second half witnessed the dismantling of the Empire and the UK rebuilding itself into a modern and prosperous European nation. As one of five permanent members of the UN Security Council, a founding member of NATO, and of the Commonwealth, the UK pursues a global approach to foreign policy; it currently is weighing the degree of its integration with continental Europe. A member of the EU, it chose to remain outside the Economic and Monetary Union for the time being. Constitutional reform is also a significant issue in the UK. The Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly were established in 1999, but the latter is suspended due to bickering over the peace process.
Photos from Preston
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Preston
Latest Blogs from Preston
- May 7th 2012 The Wait...
by Words: 232 Photos: 0
- April 3rd 2012 Savings & Route
by Words: 97 Photos: 0
- December 4th 2011 Farewell Party!
by Words: 106 Photos: 1
- August 31st 2011 The long goodbye
by Words: 227 Photos: 2
- June 18th 2011 I Like Birds: Things don’t always quite go to Plan
by Words: 1370 Photos: 0
- June 16th 2011 Asia to Europe
by Words: 761 Photos: 9
- February 11th 2011 weekend of departure
by Words: 111 Photos: 0
- December 24th 2009 Preston
by Words: 112 Photos: 10
- May 7th 2009 Been a long time comin'
by Words: 956 Photos: 29
- February 19th 2009 Chillin around Chilly England!
by Words: 571 Photos: 4
- February 4th 2009 Continuation of Adventures
by Words: 3709 Photos: 123
- January 27th 2009 mates, chips, and pints....oh yeah and classes :)
by Words: 3700 Photos: 28
- January 14th 2009 Rainy, cold, but fun England!!
by Words: 959 Photos: 21
- January 14th 2009 Christmas oop North
by Words: 0 Photos: 20
- January 9th 2009 1st week!!!
by Words: 895 Photos: 0
- January 5th 2009 First Step!
by Words: 306 Photos: 0
- August 18th 2008 The day we went to Blackpool!
by Words: 193 Photos: 7
- August 13th 2008 Rebellion Fest - Day 4
by Words: 854 Photos: 0
- August 10th 2008 Rebellion Fest - Day 3
by Words: 379 Photos: 0
- August 9th 2008 Rebellion Fest - Day 2
by Words: 774 Photos: 0