Background: The native Amerindian population of Cuba began to decline after the European discovery of the island by Christopher COLUMBUS in 1492 and following its development as a Spanish colony during the next several centuries. Large numbers of African slaves were imported to work the coffee and sugar plantations and Havana became the launching point for the annual treasure fleets bound for Spain from Mexico and Peru. Spanish rule was severe and exploitative and occasional rebellions were harshly suppressed. It was US intervention during the Spanish-American War in 1898 that finally overthrew Spanish rule. The subsequent Treaty of Paris established Cuban independence, which was granted in 1902 after a three-year transition period. Fidel CASTRO led a rebel army to victory in 1959; his iron rule has held the regime together since then. Cuba's Communist revolution, with Soviet support, was exported throughout Latin America and Africa during the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. The country is now slowly recovering from a severe economic recession in 1990, following the withdrawal of former Soviet subsidies, worth $4 billion to $6 billion annually. Cuba portrays its difficulties as the result of the US embargo in place since 1961. Illicit migration to the US - using homemade rafts, alien smugglers, air flights, or via the southwest border - is a continuing problem. The US Coast Guard intercepted 1,498 individuals attempting to cross the Straits of Florida in 2004.
Blogs from Baracoa
Latest Blogs from Baracoa
- January 12th 2011 cuenta me, com te va, yo por aqui, muy bien y tu por alla, que bola?!
by Words: 1383 Photos: 75
- November 7th 2009 Black Hole Sun...Won't You Come...and Wash Away the Rain
by Words: 1554 Photos: 25
- February 21st 2009 Baracoa
by Words: 124 Photos: 41
- November 12th 2008 Baracoa
by Words: 455 Photos: 6
- November 6th 2008 Baracoa
by Words: 1927 Photos: 35
- September 20th 2008 Disaster Zone #1, and a lovely quiet, friendly town
by Words: 1793 Photos: 17
- September 20th 2008 Some pictures from after the hurricanes in Baracoa
by Words: 43 Photos: 32
- July 5th 2008 Santiago de Cuba...not a great first impression!
by Words: 192 Photos: 29
- January 22nd 2008 Baracoa
by Words: 1284 Photos: 6
- July 6th 2007 Oldtimer Taxi olé!
by Words: 185 Photos: 0
- November 11th 2006 Nice Hot Chocolate!
by Words: 940 Photos: 17
- August 1st 2006 A Baracoa me quedo
by Words: 448 Photos: 0
- May 3rd 2006 Back to Nature in Baracoa
by Words: 238 Photos: 4
- January 23rd 2006 Peuqueño tesoro
by Words: 52 Photos: 4