Background: The Philippine Islands became a Spanish colony during the 16th century; they were ceded to the US in 1898 following the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the Philippines became a self-governing commonwealth. Manuel QUEZON was elected President and was tasked with preparing the country for independence after a 10-year transition. In 1942 the islands fell under Japanese occupation during WWII, and US forces and Filipinos fought together during 1944-45 to regain control. On 4 July 1946 the Philippines attained their independence. The 21-year rule of Ferdinand MARCOS ended in 1986, when a widespread popular rebellion forced him into exile and installed Corazon AQUINO as president. Her presidency was hampered by several coup attempts, which prevented a return to full political stability and economic development. Fidel RAMOS was elected president in 1992 and his administration was marked by greater stability and progress on economic reforms. In 1992, the US closed its last military bases on the islands. Joseph ESTRADA was elected president in 1998, but was succeeded by his vice-president, Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO, in January 2001 after ESTRADA's stormy impeachment trial on corruption charges broke down and widespread demonstrations led to his ouster. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO was elected to a six-year term in May 2004. The Philippine Government faces threats from armed communist insurgencies and from Muslim separatists in the south.
Photos from Dumaguete
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Dumaguete
Latest Blogs from Dumaguete
- February 20th 2013 Cebu via Dumaguete – soaking up every bit of it all before our next chapter...
by Words: 343 Photos: 6
- December 22nd 2012 Super-Lili matkustaa
by Words: 1381 Photos: 11
- May 21st 2012 Negros Island, no crowds here!
by Words: 1975 Photos: 24
- February 13th 2012 Dumaguete
by Words: 774 Photos: 23
- January 26th 2012 A tale of very, very little...
by Words: 1610 Photos: 8
- January 4th 2012 From the island of black magic to swimming with the fishies...
by Words: 1081 Photos: 6
- December 3rd 2011 Colorful Dumaguete
by Words: 36 Photos: 10
- November 8th 2011 Pelkkää juhlaa!
by Words: 1639 Photos: 12
- November 4th 2011 Sleep, eat, dive....live (kuten Liquidissa sanotaan)
by Words: 2550 Photos: 10
- November 1st 2011 Suurkaupungista suoraan maalle
by Words: 1055 Photos: 9
- May 13th 2011 DIVING DUMAGUETE WITH MAD MAX!
by Words: 1846 Photos: 6
- December 31st 2010 Sadly The Next Morning
by Words: 502 Photos: 0
- November 8th 2010 Dumaguete
by Words: 44 Photos: 13
- October 31st 2010 New friends and a little Tanguay in Dumaguete
by Words: 56 Photos: 6
- March 10th 2010 Fishermen Queens
by Words: 846 Photos: 22
- October 10th 2009 Bye bye Siquijor!
by Words: 368 Photos: 10
- October 2nd 2009 Manila-Dumaguete
by Words: 458 Photos: 11
- February 14th 2009 5 Do's for Dumaguete
by Words: 310 Photos: 1
- February 9th 2009 The Holidays...Filipino Style
by Words: 1051 Photos: 11
- September 14th 2008 Nuestro Perdido Eden
by Words: 7514 Photos: 13