Background: In 1603, a Tokugawa shogunate (military dictatorship) ushered in a long period of isolation from foreign influence in order to secure its power. For 250 years this policy enabled Japan to enjoy stability and a flowering of its indigenous culture. Following the Treaty of Kanagawa with the United States in 1854, Japan opened its ports and began to intensively modernize and industrialize. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Japan became a regional power that was able to defeat the forces of both China and Russia. It occupied Korea, Formosa (Taiwan), and southern Sakhalin Island. In 1933 Japan occupied Manchuria and in 1937 it launched a full-scale invasion of China. Japan attacked US forces in 1941 - triggering America's entry into World War II - and soon occupied much of East and Southeast Asia. After its defeat in World War II, Japan recovered to become an economic power and a staunch ally of the US. While the emperor retains his throne as a symbol of national unity, actual power rests in networks of powerful politicians, bureaucrats, and business executives. The economy experienced a major slowdown starting in the 1990s following three decades of unprecedented growth, but Japan still remains a major economic power, both in Asia and globally. In 2005, Japan began a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Photos from Nippori
Blogs from Nippori
Latest Blogs from Nippori
- May 31st 2011 On the train from Tokyo to Sendai
by Words: 569 Photos: 3
- May 30th 2011 Landing in Tokyo, Japan
by Words: 107 Photos: 0
- May 29th 2011 The 11-Hour Plane Ride, My First International Flight
by Words: 201 Photos: 0
- November 21st 2010 Nippori Fabric Shopping
by Words: 23 Photos: 7
- April 13th 2008 JAPAN - Tokyo, Kyoto & Nara
by Words: 1682 Photos: 52
- March 24th 2008 Arriving in Japan at last!
by Words: 157 Photos: 1
- June 23rd 2007 Furlong Fondled by Sadistic Security Search
by Words: 183 Photos: 3
- May 16th 2006 just like that?!
by Words: 624 Photos: 6
- April 20th 2006 Us in Tokyo
by Words: 390 Photos: 13
- April 20th 2006 Tsukiji Fish Market
by Words: 84 Photos: 7
- March 19th 2006 vous en vouliez? en v'la!
by Words: 396 Photos: 28
- March 18th 2006 Sumimasen, Quebec doko nan desu ka?
by Words: 295 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2006 Finallement, la vrai vie commence
by Words: 303 Photos: 0
- March 3rd 2006 Ive found my dancing land.
by Words: 506 Photos: 7
- March 1st 2006 1,2 1,2 patate poil maudit cave na na na na na...
by Words: 756 Photos: 6
- March 1st 2006 photo express
by Words: 19 Photos: 10
- March 1st 2006 De retour aux sources!
by Words: 924 Photos: 9
- February 11th 2006 MALADE!!! Je demenage au Japon!!!
by Words: 525 Photos: 9
- February 10th 2006 Fun fun fun
by Words: 521 Photos: 8
- February 10th 2006 He he he gang!
by Words: 267 Photos: 7