Hello! I have never been to Central America and am taking a life sabbatical to surf and relax. Single, American female, so i do not want to draw attn to myself. My plans:
A. mid-March (already booked): land in evening @ San Jose. I will have to stay at a San Jose hostel.
- Cabs should be OK, correct? Any idea what rates generally are?
- Any recommendations on safe hostels (preferably where there are other tourists?)
B. For the next 22 days, my primary goal is to SURF.
- i want to go where there are nice, easy waves (i am a beginner), and ideally i do not want to travel around too much (so ideally just stay in two or three beaches...). I am thinking Taramindo, Hermosa, and Jaco?
- A bus from San Jose to the beach should be OK, correct?
- Do you think these beaches will be too crowded, since I am going during spring break season? If so, any other beaches to recommend?
C. Then in between I would like to see the Manuel Antonio National Park, Arenal, and a few more must-see and perhaps even more remote areas. Def zip-lining and an eco-tour (yes, I am unapologetically touristy!)
- any suggestions or tips on cheaper rates or free activities would be wonderful!
D. Then, early April, I am traveling from San Jose to Farallon, Panama. I will only be in Panama for 3 days before I fly out from Panama City back to the U.S. Here is my understanding of my choices:
- Choice 1: take flight to Panama City; cab to Farallon. Pro: safe, simple. Con: EXPENSIVE!!! ($300)
- Choice 2: tica bus to Panama City, cab to Farallon. Pro: established company, cheap. Con: takes 10 hours.
- Choice 3: take flight to David; bus to Panama City but ask to get off at Farallon. Pro: cheaper flight than Choice 1. Con: no idea which bus companies would even do this.
- Choice 4: is there a choice 4?