Travel blog #3 A2


Advertisement
South America
October 11th 2013
Published: October 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Do all people have equality in this Brazil? BRAZZIL - News from Brazil - Racism and discrimination Brazilian style

As researching I have found that Brazil are racist among other people. Brazil find themselves to be Portuguese and discriminate against African-American citizens. Racism in Brazil has been an issue since the Colonial era which was caused by Portuguese settlers. There was also African-Americans being sent from Africa to be slaves for the people of Brazil.As said in this research paper "while 89%!o(MISSING)f Brazilians said they believe there is racism in the society, only 10%!a(MISSING)dmitted they were prejudiced; but 87%!m(MISSING)anifested some sort of prejudice by agreeing with racist statements or admitting having had discriminatory behavior in the past." This shows that Brazilians were racist not only to African Americans but to whites and other races. Not only that! There is a BIG shocker , 48%!o(MISSING)f African-Americans in Brazil agreed to the quote "Good blacks, have white souls. This leaves me speechless to know a good chunk of blacks are discriminating against there own race.

This shows that in Brazil there isn't equality. The fact that one of there laws is if being racist you go to jail and can not be bailed out. There was even a singer in Brazil named Triirica who wrote a song intended for African-American women, and a part of lyrics was "black women stink like skunks". when getting interviewed she told them, that it was natural that people stink depending on their race. There is a debate in Brazil debating whether they should ban singers from talking about negativity about African-Americans. This is not something people in Brazil should be doing. They should have equality with everyone, especially because many people would love to travel there without being judged because of their race.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb