Switzerland in South America


Advertisement
Published: May 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola a todos !

Currently we are in Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. But let´s update you first on our last great days in Buenos Aires, where we are still going to return twice in the coming weeks !

So Buenos Aires, definitely a city to check out ! We walked for hours and hours through several interesting neighbourhoods. Palermo Viejo is an artistic, charming part of the city with lots of trendy galeries, bars and restaurants. It´s also called Palermo Soho and for sure it has a feel of NYC !

Of course a tango-show was part of our program ! (we still need to do the classes...). We met a Mexican guy who had taken his very cute, 82-year old mother to BA for Mothers day. They gave us many good advices for survival in South America..... ! The show itself was quite touristy, but the nice dancing and singing (´Don´t cry for me, Argentinaaaaa) made up for that.

Another highlight was for sure a great steak in a fabulous restaurant (thanks for the hint, Xavi !) in the fancy docks-neighbourhood, called Puerto Madera. The wining (advice of the waiter: ¨no Rioja, es muy mal..¨) and dining was just incredible

Next destination was Montevideo, capital of Uruguay and a very laid-back city. We took a ferry from Buenos Aires and in 3 hrs we got our surprise: Uruguay is NOT a South American country as you would think it is. Very modern, clean and organized (Mummies: it is SUPER safe here... and again: happy Mothers Day ! By the way, Mothers Days seems to be the most important day here... even WE got some gift-chocolates...). And the nicest surprise: INCREDIBLY cheap here !

As mentioned before, the Lonely Planet describes Uruguay as the Switzerland of South America and we can see why. The landscape, lots of European immigrants, the food (this afternoon we had Gruyere cheese) and even a Swiss village (Colonia de Suiza). And of course the very organized way of living (example: queueing whenever possible) ! We sometimes have to remind ourselves that we are in South America and not back home.

We spent 3 nights in Montevideo, taking it easy, having lots of extensive breakfasts and coffees. On Friday evening we went to the cinema (2 EUR), seeing the Oscar-winning movie ¨Das Leben der Anderen´ (in German!) about the Stasi in former Eastern Germany. Great movie, we definitely recommend you to go and see it !

Yesterday we visited an (empty) beach town east of Montevideo, Punta del Este. In summer, this is apparently the place to be, however now, in autumn, we were the only visitors it seemed. Nevertheless, the weather was nice and sunny and we enjoyed a long beachwalk.

And now it´s time to explore Colonia de Sacramento (west of Montevideo), a World cultural heritage city on the Plata river. From here we will go and see other surrounding sights. And enjoy the Mate.

Saludos de Uruguay ! We´ll be back with updates.

Martina & Marieke



Advertisement



15th May 2007

Hello Martina, hello Marieke, reading your entries makes me really jealous. It remamber's me at my journey across Argentina tow yours ago with viventura. The food is absolutly fantastic, if you aren't an vegetarian. Beef steak is in comparison with guiea pig (a delicacy in Peru) 10 times better. What need you more, a 500g steak with chimmi churri (steak cauce) and some Quilmes (beer).... If I coud speak any spanish I would fly back to Argentina, for sure. Unfortunately I don't speak nearly any word and I'm to lazy and untalented to study it, so I would't come in the situation like you to travel independant across South America. Girls, if you have time and the possibilety, try to watch a soccer game from Boca (not River) in the Boca stadium in Buenos Aires. It is really fantasic (forgett the game, enjoy the fanatic fans) I'm looking forward to read the next entries. Take care. Udo

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb