Sometimes it´s good to be a woman !


Advertisement
South America
May 20th 2007
Published: May 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Buenas tardes,

On this lazy sunday afternoon in Mendoza, Argentina, we´d like to share with you the highlights of our latest adventures.

We spent a complete week in Uruguay, staying several days in Colonia de Sacramento, which is a lovely, cobblestone city, surrounded by water.

From there we ¨day-tripped¨to Nueva Suiza, a quiet village founded by European immigrants. Another day was reserved for Carmelo. We decided to rent bikes, discover the surroundings and visit a bodega (vineyard). However, we were ¨slightly¨ hindered in this plan by a...... DOG ! After 15 min on our bikes a loudly barking, scary German shepherd decided to follow us for the rest of the day. When he didn´t like the road we chose, he clearly showed us he was not happy, bumping into our bikes and indicating where we should go instead. Up to the point where he forced us to go walking next to the bikes. We followed his orders, what else can you do against this bloody bastard, who is continuously threatening to take a tasty bite out of your leg ??? We needed a break from him, so we went to drink a cappuccino. And then he would lie there, right in front of the entrance, waiting for us to come out again.... Hilarious !

In a nutshell, our stay in Uruguay was really relaxing, it´s a very easy and cheap country for travel. And tourism is non-existent in low season !

Back in Buenos Aires two days ago. We are absolutely in love with this city, we´ll be back here! We decided to go and check out the crazy nightlife. We went for a strawberry margarita in this Irish pub, then had a bite in our favourite Mirasol restaurant and when we came back 1,5 hrs later, everybody was in Latin-American dancing mode ! So there we were, dancing with our sturdy hiking boots! We looked exactly like the locals.... not!

Yesterday we spent time wandering around in La Recoleta, another one of BA´s famous neighbourhoods, housing the cemetery with the grave of Eva Perron (¨Evita¨). Just follow the crowds.....

We also paid a visit to the Argentinian national library, la Biblioteca Nacional. Once inside, there was a queue of people, waiting to get inside an auditorium. Having no clue what was about to come, we decided to join the queue. And then a very nice surprise: a free, fantastic tango orchestra concert ! We were absolutely delighted by this best live classic concert ever, couldn´t believe it, again at the right time at the right place ! The local audience was very enthusiastic and around us several men, old and young, couldn´t keep their eyes dry. Who says men shouldn´t cry :-) !

To stay in the tango style, we continued with a tango show in Confiteria Ideal. We were given a VIP table in the front row (just smile to the waiter...sometimes it´s good to be a woman...). To pay this off, WE needed to smile to the semi-professional tango singers & dancers the whole evening ! Our highlight was Pablo, a heart-broken, drama queen and our stage hero. Only that we would have burst out laughing, if we had looked at each other during his great performance. We kept that for afterwards !

This morning we flew from BA to Mendoza, close to the border with Chile. Mendoza is in the valley of the Andes cordillera and known for the wine (¨Tierra del Vino¨). We are really looking forward to the coming week in which we will explore the countryside by car, the nature should be beautiful here as well as the wines.... hik !

We´re off now, discovering Mendoza.

Saludos,
Martina & Marieke


Advertisement



28th May 2007

Ik geniet met jullie mee!
Oh wat wonderfull stories.. I really enjoy reading them. All well over here, exiting times at work ahead and busy as always at the homefront. Seriously planning the october visit to you Martina with Ilze and Debbie (and Jags - but he doesn't know it yet). We will let you know asap. ENJOY the two of you!!! take care and keep up having us all enjoy it with you through the blog! Hannie

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb