Centro Lima


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima
January 19th 2009
Published: January 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It seems as though every morning most of my dorm wakes up at the same time, 9:00 am. Had breakfast with my new Argentianian friend, Inez. Today we were set on going to the Center of Lima....ohhh, something they say is unsafe and dangerous. With confidence, we got on the omnibus that´s packed with people. At 1 sole y 20, it´s a bargain! It stopped every two min to jam pack the tiney bus.

A girl from Englad, who was on the same bus and did not speak a word of spanish, looked terified. So Inez and I told her that she should come with us. So off we were..inez, jenny and I.

First, to watch the changing of the guards but all we saw behind the gated Palacio de gobierno, was a band playing music. With scorching hot weather and no shade we quickly got up to tour other parts of the center. At Monasterio de San Fransico, we ran into our hostel mates, Hannah and Alex. There was saw tons of religious paintings dating from the 1600´s and the famous CATACOMBS od Lima. About 25,000 or more people were buried under the church. Now in a macabre way the bones are displayed. The coolest part was seeing the thousands of books in it´s library that date back to the spanish conquest.

When we were done with that we were starving and found a lil whole in the wall place where we ate none other than Milanesa. tired and exhausted from the heat of the blazing sun, we set out in search of some ice cream.

The whole time we were in this ¨unsafe zone¨ I actually felt safe : )

Now I{m back the hostel and will take a much needed siesta. We´ve been walking since 10am and my feet are tired : ) I can take an hour nap at 5pm : )

Pura Vida.

Advertisement



20th January 2009

Centro de Lima
Some years ago nobody could walk safe there nowadays situation is different... anyway be careful and don´t walk over there so late. In El Centro there is a lil bar called Miunich I think you´ll like it I´ve been there one time and there was a couple of old men playing really great old music and in Miraflores (Larco Ave.) there is El Tayta, cheap beer, safe zone, usually there are band playing live music... I can´t remember for now other places Salud! Ash
20th January 2009

I'm soo glad to hear that you made it...a rough start though, but you made it there safely. It's also wonderful to hear that you made friends already, which i knew you would. Will, thank god for this travel blog i get to look forward to your daily adventures.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb