Day 3


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima » Lima » Lima
July 5th 2007
Published: November 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Samay Wasi - LimaSamay Wasi - LimaSamay Wasi - Lima

Anshu at the Samay Wasi backerpacker in Lima. Waiting for the cook.
Decided to explore and see a bit more of Lima, maybe venture into the heart of Lima, city center. We were told that it was about a 20min ride by bus. Not speaking any Spanish and virtually nobody speaking English, we thought it might be safer to catch a taxi. The cook at the backpacker volunteered to come with us to the city by bus - but we would have to wait for his shift to finish. Though we are cautious and suspicious by nature, we felt we would trust the cook to take us to the city by bus. In fact it was a good combination - as Anshu is the over suspicious and cautious one and I trust too readily =) We hung around at bit and talked to some of the other backpackers. Finally the cook (cant remember his name now) was ready and off we went, catching the local bus was exhilarating and the sights along the way were so different to any street in New Zealand =) Life here was a struggle but the people were strong and happy sort to take up the challenge.
We thought we would explore the Plaza San Martin and Plaza
Plaza San MartinPlaza San MartinPlaza San Martin

The statue at Plaza San Martin.
de Mayor. We got of in the city and had a 2 min walk to Plaza San Martin. From there we walked along the main avenue until we got to Plaza Mayor. Suprised to see armed military men block off entry to the Plaza, expect throught one small gate and everyone going in had to have ID. Not ones to be deterred and speaking no Spanish we just walked through the military men, when stopped and questioned - we simply smiled and said "tourista".
Both the plaza's were beutiful and walking through the side alleys the sights and smells were calling us. Spend more time looking around the city and decided to head back to Miraflores - this time by ourselves with no one to guide us - luckily we had been looking at places to remember and help guide us back.
On the way back however we were stopped by a huge sea of people chanting - looked like a peaceful demonstration, never did find out what it was about.
In the evening after arriving back from our adventures, we went and explored Parque del Amor (Park of Love) or Lover's Park. Beautiful manicured gardens with park benchs and
Beautiful ChurchBeautiful ChurchBeautiful Church

Beautiful church on the main avenue in city center, lima.
hidden areas for lovers. Beautifully tiled with names of great lovers from the past and a huge statue that you can see from miles away of a couple kissing. The walk there and back was so lovely, alomg the coastline with vendors selling there tropical fruits along the way. In though in was dark, we did not feel unsafe walking around in Miraflores, especially when the Latin America only comes alive at late morning to late evening.
Purchased a few weird fruits to try in the evening. Black maize (corn), and magic potato (makes men impotent) and few other strange fruits.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Plaza MayorPlaza Mayor
Plaza Mayor

Me at Plaza Mayor.
Anshu at Plaza MayorAnshu at Plaza Mayor
Anshu at Plaza Mayor

Beautiful Plaza Mayor in the background and gregarious Anshu in the fore.
More Plaza MayorMore Plaza Mayor
More Plaza Mayor

Me again at Plaza Mayor.
Parque del Amor (Park of Love)Parque del Amor (Park of Love)
Parque del Amor (Park of Love)

Beautiful manicured garden with bench and colourful tile with names of great Latin lovers. Lover lane. And this big statue in the middle.
The Colourful TilesThe Colourful Tiles
The Colourful Tiles

In Parque del Amor the bright tiles with names of lovers.
Us in Parque del AmorUs in Parque del Amor
Us in Parque del Amor

Smiling and so in love =)))
Me at Parque del Amor Me at Parque del Amor
Me at Parque del Amor

With the lovely statue in the background.


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb