Condors, a Canyon and the "Bicicletas".


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa
July 30th 2006
Published: July 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Contrary to our last blog, we sadly did not make it to Puno and Lake Titicaca due to an unfortunate turn of events. On the morning of our planned departure Kai was awoken by the same stomach bug (giardia and possibly salmonella) that Matt had be struck down with during the Inca trail. After two hours of the “bicicletas” (use your imagination), an early morning Doctor call out, an injection in his buttock, and a rather expensive medication bill, Kai was finally stabilised. However, sadly the four day tour to Puno had to be cancelled. Also, due to Kristin’s continued ill health, she decided to leave Peru two weeks early to accompany Matt home.

After a couple of days recuperating, we decided to fly direct to Arequipa. This has been our home for the past four nights. During this time we also spent a chilly night in the Colca Valley. Here are our highlights from Arequipa:

- Visiting the Monastario de Santa Catalina. Founded in 1580, this amazingly colourful convent and citadel is one of the finest examples of colonial religious architecture we have seen so far. A real pleasure to explore.
- Discovering the old town of Arequipa, also known as the White City, due to the light coloured volcanic rock bricks (Sillar) used for building.
- Reaching 4850m (our highest yet) on our way to the Colca Valley. Altitude effects were reduced by yummy coca flavoured toffee.
- Spending two days touring the Colca Valley (courtesy of Colonial Tours), seeing fine examples of pre-Inca hanging tombs, farming terraces and also the numerous dormant volcanoes and snow capped peaks.
- Taking a moonlight dip in the supposedly healing hot volcanic springs of Chivay (about 40 deg C).
- Marveling at the spectacle of the deepest canyon in the world, the Colca Canyon. It is estimated to be 3400m deep, twice that of the Grand Canyon!
- Admiring the enormous presence of the Andean Condor, the largest flying bird with an a wingspan of over 3m. We were privileged to watch them soar on thermal currents for over one hour in the Colca Canyon.
- Visiting Juanita the Ice Princess, an unbelievably well preserved Inca sacrificial offering to the mountain Gods made over five hundred years ago. She was only discovered due to the eruptions of a neighbouring volcano, which melted the 50m of snow and ice that had encased her.

Tonight we head to Nazca on an overnight bus arriving at 0600. We plan to fly over the Nazca lines, and then continue on our way to the oasis town of Huacachina.

Until then, ciao for now.

Kai and Kerry.

P.S. Kai is feeling much better now!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



31st July 2006

ouch
Sorry to here of both your ill's. Struth, sounds gut wrenching. Come home soon and have a soothing ale.
2nd August 2006

Hey guys So glad that you are still managing to have fun without me. Looks amazing. Thanks for the great time, speak soon. Kx
10th August 2006

Glad to hear you are having such a wonderful experience. I'm enjoying all the info and photos. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Take cake. Love Anne

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb