Mummies, Nazca Lines and Sand Dunes


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ica » Huacachina
August 3rd 2006
Published: August 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Having left Arequipa on an overnight bus ride that was pretty ordinary we arrived at the crack of dawn in Nazca. Kai sat on what could only be described as an ejector seat (throwing him forwards each time we hit a bump), and being at the back of the bus meant that our seats did not recline to the cama position as promised.

Nazca

We were met by the driver from Aeroparacas and taken directly to the Airport. However due to low lying mist over the lines we spent the next two hours waiting for a flight slot. Eventually, a guide decided to take us to the very interesting Chauchilla cemetery. Here we were witness to the ancient graves and burial techniques of a pre-Columbian Nazca civilisation. We also were taken for a tour of a traditional pottery and gold factory.

When we returned to the airport we were able to go on our flight. This was a 30 minute rollercoaster, and in Kerry’s case stomach churning, ride over the simply mind-boggling lines and drawings. A definite highlight of our trip!

Huacachina

After a short wait we were taken into Nazca city to catch a “collectivo” to Huacachina. This is typically an old American car that is shared between seven people including the driver. A nice two hour long tight squeeze!

On arrival in Huacachina we were greeted by the serenity of the desert oasis. Our hotel, Hosteria Suiza, was the perfect place to relax for the next three nights. Our first evening was spent doing nothing more than eating dinner and taking a walk around the lagoon. On our second day we headed into the bustling Ica, where we had lunch and Kai finally had a hair cut after ten weeks. That afternoon we explored the dunes in a hair raising buggy and sand boarded for two hours courtesy of Desert Warriors. This was so much fun and we only took half the dessert home in our crevices.

On our final full day in Huacachina we chilled by the hotel pool and then took a late afternoon stroll up the giant sand dune which towers over the small oasis.

Today we head back into Ica to take another collectivo to the city of Pisco. Which will be our home for the next two nights.

Until our next blog,

Ciao for now.

Kai and Kerry



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



4th August 2006

You have email Kerry
Cool surfing and thank goodness you cut your hair Kai!!!! Enjoy the ;sours' in Pisco....... Matty
7th August 2006

Hey guys, Looks like you are having a great trip! I just wanted to wish Kerry a happy birthday for the 10th! Carry on having fun! Love Jo x x

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb