The Inca Life


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco
July 23rd 2006
Published: July 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Cuzco and the Ruin Crawl

As mentioned in our previous blog, prior to leaving to the jungle, the four of us spent a couple of days exploring the once Inca capital of Cuzco (see first six pictures below).

We roamed the cobblestone streets both during the day and a night, visiting numerous markets and enjoying the local cuisine. We also spent half a day walking around the surrounding ruins of Cuzco. We caught the Pisac bus, and thanks to the helpful locals we just managed to hop off at our first ruin for the day, Tambo Machay (the Inca Baths - a place for the worship of water). We then spent four hours walking to Puca Pucara (a hunting lodge), Q’enko (a place for sacrificial offerings) and the largest of the four, Saqsaywaman (yes, it does read like sexy woman!). Saqsaywaman was a huge temple and may have also been used as a fort by the Inca armies.

The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu

We headed off bright and early to Km 82, the starting point for our four day, three night trekking adventure along the world famous Inca trail leading us to Machu Picchu. We were joined by another five, supposedly, avid trekkers and were led by the fantastic SAS team of Aldo, Edson and their thirteen porters and kitchen staff.

We will not go on about the ins and outs of the four days and all the amazing Inca ruins we saw on the way, because we would be here for a while. However, thankfully for us and many thousands of trekkers and visitors, the conquering catholic Spaniards never got their greedy and destructive hands on the Inca trail, and all the ruins leading to Machu Picchu. We should also mention a certain Mr. Hiram Bingham, whom on 24 July 1911 found Machu Picchu and then slowly made his way along the Inca trail (in reverse) discovering the many ruins for us to enjoy today.

There were many highlights, but for us the following three topped the list;
- Conquering the grueling four hike up to Dead Woman’s Pass at 4215m (it was a 1100m ascent).
- Enjoying the glorious and awe inspiring natural beauty between the Second Pass and the Third Pass on Day 3 of the hike.
- Stepping through the Sun Gate at 0700 and capturing our first glimpse of the magnificent Machu Picchu.

We should put out a special note to both Kristin and Matt for completing the hike under adverse circumstances. On Day 1, Kristin was so ill that she required the assistance of a horse to carry her to our first camp site. On Day 2 through to the last day, Matt became ill with similar complaints and struggled his way along the trail.

Well done guys, and Matt, get better soon!!

We say goodbye to Matt tomorrow, and our next stop is Puno and Lake Titicaca.

Enjoy the photos.

Kai and Kerry.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



24th July 2006

Inca Trail
Wow! Hope everyone has recovered from illness. Love PPR
24th July 2006

most jealous
most jealous
24th July 2006

Well done!
Well done guys! Did you get cocoa tea at 5 am, that great start to the day! Enjoy Lake Titicaca :)

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb