The Amazon Jungle.


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Amazonas
December 24th 2008
Published: December 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our motorised canoeOur motorised canoeOur motorised canoe

interesting handling characteristics............
Hi Guy's, I thought I had better publish some stuff about the trip I took into the Amazon Jungle after we finished our tour along the Inca Trail and into Machupicchu.
Most of us carried on with this trek, and we still had the guide Neil, (great peruvian name), with us.
We flew down into Puerto Maldonado deep in the Amazon jungle.
From the airport we were transfered by small coach to a motorised canoe for a one and half hour boat ride, scarey.
The coach trip was fine, we slid a few times and had to get out of the coach to allow it across a bridge that may not have taken all the weight, nice.
The canoe was fun, a big engine on a boat not designed for it, it leant well around corners.
Good start.
After mooring the canoe we hiked a short way to our home stay, Posada Amazons, in some unexpeted hot and humid conditions. We forgot it might be like this.
Our rooms were very good with plenty of space, (only 3 walls), and they were'nt much.
The rooms came with a shower, (clear plastic curtain on 4 sides), our own loo, and don't forget,
A catapillerA catapillerA catapiller

unfortunate enough to have had eggs from a wasp laid in it.
only 3 walls.
We had electricity for 5 hours a day, 1 in the morning for breakfast and 4 in the evening for dinner.
We spent our days out and about anyway, so plenty to do and see, spiders, snakes, insects, birds, that kind of thing.
We all had a great time while we were here, although I did achieve 'wobbly bottom' status just prior to leaving.
Some of us climbed up this 100+ foot tower to see the sunset, but not me, my chicken bone stopped me from leaving the ground. Well, thats not true, I climbed high enough to be level with the tops of the canopy which included brazil nuts, (can I say that if I'm in Peru/Bolivia?).
It was dark on our way back to camp and our guide stopped every now and then to show us some big insects and stuff.
We kept getting ambushed by huge moths so we had to turn our lights out until we thought they were gone, but they just ambushed the next person in the line which was quite amusing.
We had a trip out that included looking at Giant Otters that grow to about 2 meters in length, caught some pirahna fish, and we met a Shamen who showed us around his vegetable patch and explained about the flora and fauna and what its uses were.
On another trip we went to see some Macaws at a cliff that they liked to lick for the minerals etc.
Our trip out was much the same, canoe for a while, bus trip that invoved getting off again for a bridge, and me clenching my botty until imodium or something else kicked in.
Enjoy the photo's.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

A tower too tall.......for me anywayA tower too tall.......for me anyway
A tower too tall.......for me anyway

I had to sit at the bottom while it got dark, and the junge can make some very scarey noises when your on your own, ask the howler monkeys.
The guy in the white shirt is the ShamenThe guy in the white shirt is the Shamen
The guy in the white shirt is the Shamen

very highly regarded, and a mine of information, as we were about to find out.
varios plants are used for healingvarios plants are used for healing
varios plants are used for healing

others are used for colouration, as demonstrated by our handsome model.
Para Para treePara Para tree
Para Para tree

gives you wings according to the advert, and acts like viagra, take note Cliff C.
just about to clear thier minds with Para Parajust about to clear thier minds with Para Para
just about to clear thier minds with Para Para

odd tasting, but well worth trying, down in one.
A paired tree, one half male...A paired tree, one half male...
A paired tree, one half male...

the other half female, this guaratees polination.
A very deserved evening mealA very deserved evening meal
A very deserved evening meal

with a great bunch of people.
another bug.................another bug.................
another bug.................

I am so glad we never came across a bush master, nasty.


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb