Amazon Jungle


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Amazonas
July 17th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We got a flight in the morning from Cusco to Purto Maldenado in the Amazon Rainforest. It was really hot when we arrived, so much different to what it had been in Peru, must have been about 30 degrees. We took at boat to get to where we were staying. I managed to knock my sunglasses in the river! Opps (sorry debs, I know you got them for me! :-() On the journey we saw some of their wildlife, we say birds and a caymen and their largest rodent, which looked like a giant guinea pig!

I was really surprised by the lodge it wasnt what I had been expecting at all. It was really nice and clean. We had to keep açany food we had in a safe, otherwise we would have unwanted creatures in the night, and me and Helen arent too good with creatures!

That evening we had a night trek around the lodge and saw creepy crawlies and some frogs. They had no electricity, so we used our torches to see at night. When we got back to the lodge, Helen spotted a cockroach in the room. I tried to catch it but it was too past so we just had to hope our bug nets kept them out ok!

The following day we took a boat to do a jungle trek. On the trek they showed us where a taranchula (spider) was netting with a baby, the tour guides put a stick in the nest to get the taranuchla to come out. I thought I would be really scared but it was pretty exciting being that close to it in the wild! We alos got to see some more insects and birds and some bats and even a few monkeys in the distance (no good for photos Im afraid debs!)

They had loads of diffrent species of trees. We saw a strangular trees that was growing around a fig tree. It had vines hanging down from it so some of us climbed the tree. Me and Helen attempted to swing from the vines, not all that successfully!

That evening we went out caymen spotting. Its was great we got to see some of the caymens really close and one of the tour guides brought a caymen on the boat. It was really near me and I could hear it hissing!

We left the jungle the following morning at got a flight back to Lima, we spent most of the day travelling so got to Lima quite late in the afternoon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb