full moon party! that´s what i´m talkin about!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Montañita
July 17th 2006
Published: July 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

partying in Montanitapartying in Montanitapartying in Montanita

clockwise: mario, freddie, sima, claudio, miriam
14th July- 17th July

Crossed into Ecuador...that song by Sash just keeps coming back into my head. It was a long and grueling ordeal...these countries need to think of more efficient ways of processing border pasing! arrived in Guayaquil by 6:30 pm (having started 8:30 that morning!).
Guayaquil, although not the capital, is the biggest city in Ecuador. picked up my friend Freddie that night who was arriving from Australia to join me.

Its a nice enough city. Big and suprisingly clean...a vast contrast to the chaos of Peru. Some parts even reminded me of local neighbourhoods in Sydney. It had beautiful parks, and the people were definitely more attractive than the Peruvians!

Headed off that evening to Montanita...having heard of a full moon party in the nearby beach town of Montanita. So Frddie, Claudio and I headed on a local bus. Having missed the last direct bus, we had to get off after 2 hours to get a taxi for the remaining hour. We should have checked out the Taxi driver´s car before agreeing to get in. It was an old beaten up red car. The doors would only open from the inside, and the windows did
our broken down nightmareour broken down nightmareour broken down nightmare

lessons learnt- always check the taxi before aggreeing!
not open (we almost froze). It needed wiring to be started and purred loudly along the whole way. can´t deny it didnt have character, and the taxi driver was a nice man! but we weren´t too happy when it broke down in the middle of nowhere! so stranded, no lights, and malfunctioning beaten up car, our driver deserts us and heads running for the closest town to find another car. returns half an hour later with an almost equally beaten up car....which somehow manages to get us to Montanita in one piece!

Montanita was not blessed with sunshine whilst we were there. we stayed at a hostel run by a tiny old lady called Anna. She was as tall as my waist. my friend Freddie caused some initial mess (he was throwing toilet paper in the toilet- not a done thing in SA- resulting in a little flood by the morning! poor Anna that had to clean it!). Motanita was meant to be blessed with some of the best surfing in the world, but it always too cold for us to experience it. Instead we spent our days survivng the hangovers from the previous night of partyin, only to do it again the next night!

saturday finnaly came, and we headed out to a nearby becah where the Full moon party was held at a hostel called Kumara. 2 areas- one serving trance, the other latino. we partied till dawn, finally levaing at 6:30am...reminiscent of the full moon party in thailand, but nowhere near as big!

This was also the time that Isreal started to bomb lebanon, and i would remain to have feelings of dread for the first few days...luckily no-one inm my family in lebanon has yet been hurt. just isolated with little supplies.

Sunday was chill and major recovery day! awaiting the early bus at 5:30am back to Guayaquil, where i spent the day wandering through the its riverside complexes, walking up its surrounding mountain with views, and visiting its dominating cemetry. tried to get my videocamera fixed with no avail...boo hoo!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

full moon partyfull moon party
full moon party

fire included
full moon partyfull moon party
full moon party

L-R: Nicole,carla, Mike, linda, Mario


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb