The Amazon Basin and the Beach


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Montañita
August 26th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,
So from Cusco we headed to the jungle which was strange as we left on a 50min flight wearing jumpers and hats and we landed and it was a sweltering 29 degrees....it was hot. There is no other country in the worlds where we could have seen the scenery that we have on this trip, we have seen cool towns and cities, deserts and oasis, mountain vallys and canyons, beautiful islands and lakes and for the final part of our trip amazing jungle and beaches.
That is to say that the jungle is amazing as long as you dont mind the bugs and have alot of DEET. The bugs in the jungle do not know the meaning of the word small. On the first day in the jungle we were introduced to our tour guide for the next few days Alberto and at first we thought he was very stange but after a while found that he could possibly be the next character for Borat he was hilarious with his misunderstood english. We went to monkey island later that to hunt down the non existant Monkeys so that was a bit uneventful, however the second day was alot better we went on a trek to a lake in the middle of the virgin jungle to see if we could find giant otters- no otters but there was a load of cool stuff along the way like big bugs and birds and a couple of monkeys. We found a rope hanging on the edge of the lake and preformed some tarzan like moves into the lake, only to be told that there were certian parasites in the water that could swim places you dont want them to swim, and a number of piranas lol!
The last day in the jungle was awesome we went to see a local jungle person who claimed her was going to live to 160 because he didnt drink pisco! An animal santuary where we saw loads of monkeys and birds then attempteded to get eaten by a jaguar, seriously peru doesnt have any health and safety at all the jaguar was only held back by thin wire and after that we walked up a long walkway in the jungle canopy that didnt exactly enspire confidence.
Then it was off to the beach via various means of flights and buses, mancora was not quite what we expected during the day its great hot sun and a lovely beach for surfing. however the nightlife was not great especialy at the begining of the week and the town wasnt safe there we a few muggings on travelers especailly on girls whilst we were there. There was one up from the travelers tho as one tuktuk driver attempted to grab a girls bag as he drove past however he did not bank on her having superhuman strength and proceeded to pull the tuktuk over and beat him with said bag- earning herself the title of Anna the tuktuk slayer. When the weekend came and promised good surfing and nightlife i was promptly ill and spent the time in bed, once i had recovered a bit i did some surfing for the day and just as i was leaving i stood on a sting ray- emphasis on the sting part of that, this is not something that i recommend doing.
So slightly fed up of Mancora we headed to Montanita in Equador this place is really chilled and we met loads of cool people and found the partys that we were searching for towards the end of the week- on the 3rd night after an epic game of ring of fire, we found this awesome club that was half bar half beach. Definatly one of the coolest bars i have been to, in there was foam and live music on the bar half and chillout spots and a fire on the beach half. There are some pretty big waves which are fun that to quote patto "will pick you up and put you on your ass" or myself "come on lads this is a small one..... OH S*** its not small, its not small!!!!". I loved that place gonna miss it and the people there.
Anyway back at square one now in lima for one last night out before we head back to the uk hopefully see everyone soon. Much love.
Adam


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

weird bugweird bug
weird bug

as we lent in looking at this thing the guide just casually told us that it can spray a poison that can instantly blind you....great!
the viewing pointthe viewing point
the viewing point

watch out for the falling bat poo


7th September 2008

nice photos mate!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 15; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb