Cusco, The Lares Trek and Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Lares Trek
August 14th 2008
Published: August 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all i thought i would bore you all with another travel blog as ben is in bed feeling a bit sick and patto is catching up on some sleep before we head out again tonight.
When we got to cusco it was like 4 in the morning after the most uncomfortable sleep on a bus i have ever had at one point i woke up and the american guy next to be was practically drooling on my shoulder. The hostal that we are staying at is called loki and is pretty cool a real party place so there is very little chance of us getting any sleep at all lol. The town is really nice a great atmosphere, on the first day we just chilled out and went round the town a bit some nice things so see round there. We made a few cultural stops on the second day we went up to sachsayhuaman which was the last stronghold of the inkas when the spanish were invading the inka capital cusco it was great but we got soked the whole time in the first rain that we have seen. We also went to this cathedral in the plaza de armas which is supposedly one of the most impressive churches in the world and it wasnt hard to see why there was alot of stuff in there we had a headphone tour so i think we looked a bit special but it was very interesting. The night life is really good around cusco there are loads of small clubs with great vibes and good tunes definatly a great stop on our trip.
Right onto the Lares trek which i wasnt looking forward too considering how hard i thought the last one was, but i really enjoyed it. There were 4 days and three nights and we got all weathers, the first day was raining the whole time the second was cold and windy and the 3rd and 4th were very hot and sunny. There were some amazing views and the whole trip was really well organised we had loads of porters and we got fed loads, and the walking wasnt as difficult as the colca canyon, well it didnt seem it which was a relief.
Unfortunatly on the day of machu picchu the organisational skills of the guides fell to pieces but it was still amazing we had our tour of the place and they showed us how the inka astrominers developed the sundial and a compass and could tell exactly when summer and winter solstice were. The town itself is very impressive and bigger than you tink it is going to be, its amazing how they managed to just build a town on the side of a mountain. Then myself ben and patto decided that we hadnt had enough of treking and climbed the machu picchu mountain for the view, it took an hour to climb but it was worth it, the view was by far the most impressive sight that i have ever seen i cant even begin to describe it hopefully the photos will.
The day was only slightly let down by the guides abandoning us and not leaving us with and train tickets back, which we were not very impressed by but we managed to sort it all out and got back to cusco last night just in time to go straight out lol.
anyway im going to see if the lads are up now bye.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

mini-IMG 0980mini-IMG 0980
mini-IMG 0980

bens new girlfriend
mini-DSC 1066mini-DSC 1066
mini-DSC 1066

bat out of hell
mini-IMG 1021mini-IMG 1021
mini-IMG 1021

you cant see me!
mini-DSC 1136mini-DSC 1136
mini-DSC 1136

i like my guinea pig raw


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb