Long Weekend at the Coast

Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
February 9th 2008
Published: February 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Long Weekend on the Ecuador Coast

First, some logistics - I’m heading to the Galapagos Islands next week on February 14, and will be returning to Cuenca on the 21st. I will AWOL during this time, but will post a blog entry about the Galapagos on the 23rd or 24th. This will be my last blog entry before then.

Last weekend was a long weekend here, “Carnival”, which are the celebrations that go on before Lent. Things get a little crazy here, with water fights being at the top of the list - or just bombing the unsuspecting with water balloons. Last Thursday, all the schools must have closed down as the streets were full of parades with kids in costumes. Everything pretty much closed down on Friday through Tuesday. I decided that I should do something for the long weekend, and not just sit around here. I talked to a travel agent to see where she could send me, and decided on a bus tour to the coast. We left Cuenca on Friday night about 11 PM and travelled all night, arriving at the city of Manta in the morning around 7 AM. The overnight trip wasn’t bad, I managed to sleep for about 5 hours of it. Our rooms were ready on arrival, so we could freshen up before heading to our first beach, Crucita. I’m not much of a beach person, so I did some exploring up and down the beach taking pictures. It is a fishing town, so there were lots of boathouses where boats were stored and maintained. There were lots of some kind of bird that I haven’t yet identified; you can see one in the pictures. I spent most of the day in a bar facing the beach, in the shade. The temperature at the coast was usually around 30, and the equatorial sun is punishing to the unprotected. I had some typical local seafood for lunch (shrimp). Late in the day, I arrived at the designated rendezvous point for the bus only to discover that the police had closed the road and the bus could not get there. Some confusion rained as all the passengers had to find the bus which was parked on a side street about 5 blocks away. This delayed our departure by close to two hours. We got back to the hotel about 7 PM. The hotel was not located in the best of areas, however, it was nice inside it’s compound, and was clean and comfortable. My only complaint was that the room was not impervious to insects, and I wound up with lots of bites that turned into small welts due to the fact that I am not used to the local venoms.

The next day, we travelled to the town of Canoa, which turned into quite and adventure. It was about a 3 hour bus ride to the town of San Vicente, where we would take a ferry across an inlet. The bus was too big for the ferry, so we left the bus and went across the inlet as foot passengers, and caught the transit buses on the other side for the 30 minute ride to Canoa. So, we spent the better part of 4 hours getting to Canoa from our hotel. Canoa is a small, mostly tourist town on the coast. It had rained fairly hard overnight before our arrival, and the dirt streets were all mud. I had met an American family on the bus, and the women and children stayed home that day, so the husband, David, and I

shelters for the fishing fleet & a flock of birds
found a quiet bar and had lunch and some beer. My daughter Melinda had met a fellow in Manitoba who had a brother in Canoa who owned a bar. I asked the waiter at the bar if he new of a Canadian fellow there who ran a bar, and he gave me directions. The bar was called the “Surf Shak”, and I met Cal who now was the previous owner. He had just sold the place and was transitioning the new owner. After my visit with Cal, I headed back to catch a bus back to the ferry and our tour bus on the other side. We had the usual waiting around for all the passengers to show up, late departure, and then the long ride back to Manta.

The next day, we left the hotel and visited the town of Monti Christi and Alfaro. This town is one location of the assembly of the Ecuador government. There is a rather impressive building that houses the assembly, and some historical exhibits outside. After Monti Christi, we headed to the beach at Murcielago. This was a great cultural experience once I got used to the crowds. My guess is that
Bird at CrucitaBird at CrucitaBird at Crucita

Don't know what these are, will have to research later. There were lots of them and they are quite big.
there were 150-200,000 people on the beach that day. I recall the crowd of about 50,000 at a Rolling Stones concert I attended, and figured there was 3 to 4 times as many people there.

I met a Canadian fellow (Colin) from Grand Forks, British Columbia, and his Ecuadorian wife and family. We had lunch together at a restaurant on the beach. I had my regular shrimp dish. Ecuador is a major producer of shrimp; I like shrimp, so I indulged on the three days we were on the beaches.

On Tuesday, we left Manta in the morning and travelled to Guayaquil (about 3 hours from Manta), which is the largest city in Ecuador. We stopped there for lunch, and had a bit of time to look around the riverfront developments that are taking place. (Rio Guaya). We ate at the food court of a mall; most of the food outlets you would see at any mall in Canada or the U.S. A bit of time after lunch to look around the mall, then back on the bus for the last leg back to Cuenca.

The trip from Guayaquil to Cuenca was very interesting. Guayaquil, being on
Ferry at San VicenteFerry at San VicenteFerry at San Vicente

This was the ferry we took on our way to Canoa
the coast, is at sea-level. We travelled inland across mostly farm land where there were rice paddies, banana and fruit orchards. We then arrived at the Andes, and started to climb. We climbed continuously for about an hour and a half, going from sea level to close to 4300 meters (14,000 feet), before dropping back down to Cuenca at 2500 meters (8000 feet). We hadn’t taken this road on the way out because it was closed due to mud slides. The area is prone to heavy rainfall, and road closures are not uncommon. By the time we got to the summit of the road, it was getting pretty dark so I couldn’t take any more pictures. It is the same road that goes through the Cajas park (see earlier blog entry about Cajas). We arrived back in Cuenca around 8:30 PM.


Colin’s wife Marlene runs a small restaurant in Cuenca, and I had lunch there today. The restaurant is called “Marlene’s Costa y Sierra”. It is on Mariano Cueva and Simon Bolivar, a few blocks from the town square, and serves typical dishes for lunch. It was a great meal including soup and desert for all of $1.50.

Primero, alguna logística - me encamino a los Galapagos Islands la semana próxima el 14 de febrero, y regresaré a Cuenca en lo 21. Lego a AWOL durante esta vez, pero lo haré una entrada del blog acerca de los Galapagos en lo 23 or 24. Ésta será mi última entrada del blog antes de ese momento.

El último fin de semana fue un largo fin de semana aquí, “Carnaval ”, cuál son las celebraciones que siguen antes de cuaresma. Las cosas ponen un poco loco aquí, con peleas de agua a estar en la cima de la lista - o simplemente bombardeando lo ingenuo con globos de agua. El jueves pasado, todas las escuelas han debido haber cerrado definitivamente como las calles estuviesen llenas de desfiles con niños en trajes. Todo bastante cerró definitivamente el viernes a través de martes. Decidí que debería hacer algo para el largo fin de semana, y no sólo debería sentarme por aquí. Hablé con un agente de viajes para ver dónde me podría enviar ella, y podría decidirse por una excursión del autobús para la costa. Dejamos a Cuenca la noche de viernes acerca de 11 de la noche y viajamos toda la noche, arribando a la ciudad de Raya en la mañana alrededor de 7 AM. El viaje expreso no fue malo, logré dormir por aproximadamente 5 horas de él. Nuestros cuartos estaban listos sobre la llegada, así es que podríamos refrescarnos antes de liderar para nuestra primera playa, Crucita. No soy mucho de una persona de la playa, así es que hice una cierta cantidad explorando de arriba abajo por la playa fotografiando. Es un pueblo de pesca, tan hubo montones de cobertizos para botes donde los botes se guardaron y sostuvieron que. Hubo montones de alguna clase de pájaro que yo aún no he identificado; Usted puede ver uno en los cuadros. Gasté la mayoría del día en un bar mirando hacia la playa, a la sombra. La temperatura en la costa fue usualmente alrededor 30, y el sol ecuatorial castiga para lo sin protección. Tuve algunos mariscos locales típicos para almuerzo (el camarón). Hacia fines del día, arribé al punto llamado de cita que el autobús sólo descubra que la policía había cerrado la vía y el autobús no podría lograr llegar. Alguna confusión llovió como todos los pasajeros tuvo que encontrar el autobús que se estacionó en una calle lateral acerca de 5 bloques fuera. Esto atrasó nuestra partida por ahí poco antes de dos horas. Regresamos al hotel acerca de 7 de la noche. El hotel no estaba ubicado en lo mejor de áreas, sin embargo, fue interior agradable que está compuesto, y está limpio y confortable. Mi única queja fue que el cuarto no fue a prueba de insectos, y serpenteé arriba con montones de mordiscos tan revueltos en verdugones pequeños debido al hecho que no estoy usado para los venenos locales.

Al día siguiente, viajamos para el pueblo de Canoa, lo cual se convirtió muy y aventura. Fue sobre un paseo del autobús de 3 horas para el pueblo de San Vicente, donde tomaríamos un ferry a través de una ensenada. El autobús fue demasiado grande para el ferry, así es que dejamos el autobús y cruzamos la ensenada como pasajeros del pie, y atrapamos los autobuses de tránsito en el otro lado pues lo 30 minuto va en coche para Canoa. Entonces, gastamos la mayor parte de 4 horas llegando a Canoa de nuestro hotel. Canoa es un pueblo pequeño, en su mayor parte turístico
Canadian BarCanadian BarCanadian Bar

Well, it used to be. Cal, the owner from Winnipeg just sold it.
en la costa. Había llovido medianamente duro de la noche a la mañana antes de nuestra llegada, y las calles de suciedad estaba todo barro. Había conocido a una familia americana en el autobús, y las mujeres y los niños se quedaron a casa ese día, así el marido, David, y encontré un bar tranquilo y tuve almuerzo y alguna cerveza. Mi hija Melinda había conocido a un tipo en Manitoba que tuvo un hermano en Canoa que poseyó un bar. Le pregunté al mesero en el bar si él nuevo de un tipo canadiense allí quién corrió un bar, y él me giró instrucción. El tribunal fue llamado el “ Surf Shak ”, y conocí a Cal quien ahora fue el dueño previo. Él acababa de vender el lugar y efectuaba una transición el dueño nuevo. Después de mi visita con Cal, retomé el camino de regreso a la presa un autobús de regreso al ferry y nuestro autobús de excursión del otro lado. Tuvimos la aguardada usual alrededor para todos los para pasajeros para indicar, partida retrasada, y en ese entonces el largo paseo de regreso a Raya.

Al día siguiente, dejamos el hotel y visitamos el pueblo de Monti Christi y Alfaro. Este pueblo es una posición de la asamblea del gobierno de Ecuador. Hay un edificio más bien impresionante que aloja la asamblea, y algunas exhibiciones históricas afuera. Tras Monti Christi, nos encaminamos a la playa en Murcielago. Ésta fue una gran experiencia cultural una vez que me acostumbré a las masas. Mi suposición es que hubo personas del 150-200,000 en la playa que el día. Recuerdo a que el populacho de aproximadamente 50,000 en un concierto “Rolling Stones” al que asistí, y resolví allí fue 3 hasta 4 veces como muchas personas allí.

Le conocí a un tipo canadiense (Colin) de “Grand Forks”, British Columbia, y su familia y esposa ecuatoriana. Almorzamos juntos en un restaurante en la playa. Tuve mi plato normal del camarón. Ecuador es un productor principal de camarón; Me gusta el camarón, así es que accedí en los tres días que estábamos en las playas.

El martes, dejamos a la Raya en la mañana y viajamos para Guayaquil (aproximadamente 3 horas de Raya), lo cual es la ciudad más grande en Ecuador. Nos detuvimos allí para almuerzo, y tuvimos un poquito de hora de mirar alrededor de las urbanizaciones del riverfront que tienen lugar. (Río Guaya). Comimos en el tribunal de comida de un centro comercial; La mayor parte de las conexiones de salida de comida que usted vería en cualquier centro comercial en Canadá o que la A De Estados Unidos mordió después almuerzan para mirar alrededor del centro comercial, en ese entonces hacia atrás en el autobús para la última pierna de regreso a Cuenca.

El viaje de Guayaquil para Cuenca era muy interesante. Guayaquil, estando en la costa, está al nivel de mar. Viajamos tierra adentro a través de en su mayor parte tierra de campo donde hubo arrozales, banano y huertos de la fruta. Entonces arribamos a los Andes, y comenzamos a trepar. Trepamos continuamente por a eso de una hora y una la mitad, yendo de nivel del mar para cerca de 4300 metros (14,000 pies), antes de quedarnos retrasados hasta Cuenca en 2500 metros (8000 pies). No habíamos tomado esta vía a la salida porque estaba cerrada debido a barro se desliza. El área es propenso para lluvia pesada, y los cierres de la vía no son raros. Para cuando llegamos a la cima de la vía, obtenía oscuridad bonita así es que no podría tomar más cuadros. Es la misma vía que traspasa el parque Cajas (vea anterior entrada del blog acerca de Cajas). Llegamos allá por Cuenca alrededor de 8:30 PM.

El Seguimiento:

La esposa de Colin “Marlene” corre un restaurante pequeño en Cuenca, y almorcé allí hoy. El restaurante es llamado “ Marlene’s Costa y Sierra”. Está en calle Mariano Cueva y Simon Bolivar, algunos bloques del parque Abdon Calderon, y sirve platos típicos para almuerzo. Fue una gran comida incluyendo sopa y desierto para todo $1.50.

Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 32


10th February 2008

Dont you miss thirty below in Edmonchuck? That big bird in your photo must be the Frigate bird--soon you'll be looking at the blue footed booby... thats gotta be cool eh. latter mon, yer Bro.
13th February 2008

Hey John. Sounds like you are having quite the adventure. I am finally caught up now with all the entries. My favorite -- the rules for driving. (a working horn a must) Hold on to that camera , great pictures. Your old friend Morgan says HI. He hopes to see you in Sept with Sandy and me. Take care, Jeff

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb