The official tour begins


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
January 11th 2023
Published: January 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Our tour group gathered in the morning with our guide Alfredo. We are only 9 people, all women except for 1 man. . Introductions were made. Everyone has travelled a lot, and had interesting careers. Of course all are retired. Alfredo has lots of experience and seems very friendly and enthusiastic. He did a short orientation, went over plans, and answered questions. Then we set out for the middle of the world..the Inti Nan Museum, which sits on the equator. Along the way Alfredo talked about the political history of Ecuador, especially in the last 40 years, from El loco to the present. Lots of soap opera drama with leaders who steal millions of dollars and still get reelected.
The Inti Nan Museum was a place to take the mandatory picture standing on the 00 00 line and we did some activities to show the impact of being on this spot. Next we went to the Agave Spirit Museum and tasting. We learned about the Agave plant and all it's uses, from juices to syrups to alcohol and the distillation process that turns it into Miske. We had a delicious brunch of quinoa cakes and lupine beans before tasting the Agave in all it's forms. The cocktails called Xuwba and Yarisrita made with miske, were great. A very fun stop for sure.
We went back to put hotel for some time to repack and organize because tomorrow we move onto the Amazon.
Alfredo recommended a restaurant for dinner with views of Quito, El Ventanal. He helped us with reservations and taxis. It goes against my 'I can do it myself' nature, but he makes it all very easy. 6 of us went and had a delicious dinner while overlooking the city.
A 9 am flight to Coca in the Amazon awaits.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



12th January 2023

Looks like you’re off to a great start. Can’t wait to hear more. Admit to some regret over not being there with you all. Have fun😊
12th January 2023

Looks like trip is off to a great start!
I am enjoying your blog and pictures and look forward to hearing about your new adventures! Hope you all have a wonderful trip!

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb