We made it so let the adventures begin


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre
January 10th 2023
Published: January 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Flights were on time and they didn't lose any luggage so we're off to a good start. We had a driver from OAT waiting for us at the airport and an hour later we made it to Mercure Alameda Hotel in Quito. It was about 10 at night and I had left home at 7 am. We checked in and tried to get some sleep. That part was not so successful and in the morning we were all feeling the altitude and the tiredness.
In typical 'gotta fill every minute'' style, we had planned a day trip to the north of Ecuador to see the Otovalo Market and other sights on this free day before our tour actually started. Happy Gringo was sending a driver/guide Ivan and a van for a 9 am start. After hitting the breakfast buffet, we got our slow moving bodies into the van and started the 2 and a half hour ride north.
There was a lot to see along the way. This area is known for its fruit production. There were indigenous people selling on the roads. Avocados and bananas are cheap and plentiful. Also roses and other flowers are exported from the Northern Highlands. We stopped in Quayabomba to buy a chichimoya and stopped to see the Imbarro volcano from the distance and met a Kichwa woman and her daughter Sara. This was clearly a set up that Ivan does for his tourists. But they were sweet and talked about their traditional dress. She had scarves and ponytail wraps to sell. Daisy Lilah and Jonah I took a video so we can try out the ones I bought you.
Finally we got to Otavalo. Honestly that was not what I expected. There were many vendors but not too many people buying. Saturday is the big day there but my disappointment was on the commercialism of what they were selling. In typical tourist style everyone was selling the same things... seemed factory made. There were a few artisan crafters and of course we bought pretty things.
We stopped for lunch in Cotachi, a small town that expats retire to. We had delicious lupine beans and fried corn for snacks before lunch. We were reminded of the Peruvian diet of potatoes and corn in every possible variety. The sane is true in Ecuador.
Last stop was to the Peguche Waterfalls, a spot believed to be spiritual and have positive energy. We soaked in the water mist and the healing energy. There was still one more stop before heading back to Quito...for bizcones at a roadside spot that bakes them fresh in brick ovens. They are delicious, warm from the oven dipped in caramel. Then we settled in for the long trip back.
The day ended with some laughs over canelazo..orange cinnamon and sugar alcohol. It's a traditional Ecuadorian drink. Terry got the recipe from a very patient bartender. A fun way to end the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement







Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb