Taganga


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Santa Marta
August 30th 2005
Published: September 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Ciudad Perdida



Returned back from a six day trek to Ciudad Perdida. There were six of us in the group, plus our guide and cook. The days were fairly short, 4hrs but hot, very humid and incredibly sweaty. On several occasions I took off my top and wrang it out probably measuring a litre of sweat. Accommodation was in hammocks and bedtime was early.

On the fourth night, we all got woken up by a loud bang, this was after spending the evening talking about the kidnapping of the tourists that happened 2yrs earlier. Our guide has told us the details over candle light that night, explaining he was the first guide to go up after the event. Anyway, the loud bang in the night shook us all but we all stayed silent in our hammocks hoping the guerillas who had fired their guns would leave us alone. Frozen stiff I thought the best tactic was to keep deadly still.

In the morning, one guy tentatively mentioned the noise we had heard in the night, we all agreed how close we had come and broached our guide with what happened. He was a little taken a back and simply told us it was the noise of fruit droping on the tin roof and was nothing to worry about, in fact quiet common.

Excellent trip and well worth it. Unspoilt by lots of tourists and feels very different from treking in Costa Rica. The fact that you come across the odd para military guy holding a rifle, hand guns or grenade is a sharp reminder that you are in Columbia.

4 day Open Water Dive Course with Posiden next.

Over and out for now.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The groupThe group
The group

Sal,Sedrich,Phil,me,Beto(Guide),John,Uri,Amanda


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb