Whispers of Colombia


Advertisement
South America » Colombia » Cartagena
March 17th 2016
Published: March 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The plan was to stay in Cartagena for 3 days. We quickly learnt however that the only way to enjoy Cartagena was to live it and that sure enough was going to take longer than 3 days. Over the last 10 months of travelling, we kept hearing whispers about Colombia.  How it was untouched, how friendly the people were and what a hidden gem it was in South America.  Limiting our trip to a year howev... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




18th March 2016

Always listen to the whispers!
People who have never done an around the world trip cannot imagine how tiring it is and some times you the only cure is a beach chair for a couple of weeks and sleep. Sensory overload can take over....you need to rest from the exploration. Looks like a marvelously vibrant city and the vibe spoke to you. Glad you found the perfect place to stay and keep up with the spanish and dancing. Good for you. Do the blogs when you can and we will read....space or no space.
18th March 2016

Listening to the whispers
We're happy you can really relate to the feelings of being tired. Something we did not anticipate and so it hit us quite hard. Yes Cartagena certainly spoke to us. Next few blogs are uploaded so not a problem. It will take 5 minutes. Thanks again for your lovely comment.
18th March 2016

Cartagena magic
Reading your blog, Michele asked me "can we go back?" You really have done and incredible job in describing one of the best places on the planet. Lucky you to spend a month there; green with envy. As with how regular to blog? Go with the flow, blogging can be a pain in the arse when things are good.
18th March 2016

Cartagena magic
Happy you felt the same. Yes we were certainly were very lucky to have that time to really enjoy it. Throughout our following travels we have had to resist the urge to go back. But we will. Over and over again I'm sure. Sounds like you will too. Have many of the next blogs ready so we can more or less catch up easily. Blogging for 14 months on the road so far has certainly been a challenge (especially while learning Spanish which is why we stopped over Christmas). However we are more hopeful now that we will finish this blogging journey as we intended.
19th March 2016

Spaced out is fine...
it's important that you enjoy your trip and not be bound with writing blogs. I love that you have kept up though as your travels have been amazing.
20th March 2016

Spaced out is fine.
Thank you. We are surprised we have managed to do it too. It was a real challenge to keep it up at times. We only have a few weeks left so truthfully want to post as many of them as possible before we get home. The last thing we want to be doing straight away on our return is re-living these amazing moments otherwise we'll get itchy feet too soon!
20th March 2016

Falling in love...
I loved reading about how you fell in love with Cartagena. I have always wanted to park myself in a Spanish speaking country for a month or so and go to Spanish school - your reality of learning, walking, exploring and eating ice cream sounded exactly like my fantasy :) Regarding the frequency of posting blogs, as thrilled as I was to see two of your blogs waiting for me when I logged in, I would maybe space them out every three or four days to give each one maximum exposure on the front page.
20th March 2016

Falling in love..
It was an ideal life of exploring the culture without having to move too much. Definately recommend you travel before mass tourism transforms it into something new. Everyone seems to be saying the same about uploading them so will give some of them a few days. We did notice the blogs where we posted 1 immediately after barely get any reads but then guess the beauty of that is that people have to be looking for it to find it. ?
21st March 2016

Salsa dancing :)
Looks like my kind of place for sure! Music all around, learning Spanish and dancing (loooove Latin rhythms!) and most importantly not rushing anywhere... That's the way to travel! :) What an incredible place, so vibrant and full of colours! I can hear South America calling me louder and louder with each blog I read... one day :) As for your blogs guys, keep them coming :) you're doing an amazing job! And even though I'm far, far behind with reading, I'll definitely catch up on your older blogs sooner or later, so don't be surprised if you see some comments on a few oldies :)
23rd March 2016

Salsa
Its great to hear that Colombia inspires you. We really loved our time there. I hope you manage to visit. The problem is deciding on where to go next. I'm sure we will have the same problem on our next trip. No worries, look forward to any comments you make. They always make us smile.
23rd March 2016
Great finds on our strolls

Great street art
i enjoyed the street art you found. I took a street art tour in London two years ago and I really liked that tour and I have taken a liking to street art in general since then. The rest of Cartagena Old town seems to be lovely too. Will for sure make a stop there whenever I decide to go to Colombia. /Ake
24th March 2016
Great finds on our strolls

Great street art
Street art can really brighten up a place and offer a lot of inspiration on life and social issues. Bogota and Medellin were particularly good with this too so you should also count them whenever you visit.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb