I predict a riot


Advertisement
Colombia's flag
South America » Colombia » Bogota
March 9th 2007
Published: October 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

StormtroopersStormtroopersStormtroopers

otherwise known as riot police are lined up in rows opposite the university (and more worryingly, right behind us). Behind the tree you can see a fence, behind which all the student protestors are lined up ready to attack.
Just four days before Bush comes to town things hot up at the National University ... Colombia´s biggest public university, when a riot kicks off. Students with hardscarfs covering their faces throw rocks and mini hand made bombs at the police, the police respond with armoured tanks spraying water at the protestors and tear gas if they get to close. We were standing in the crowd watching until someone decided to chuck some of the tear gas at us! I legged it, my heart pounding and managed to get away in time. My friend wasnt so fast and when he caught up with me had eyes streaming from the gas. Think that is the fastest i have ever ran! Didnt go back after that ... quite enough excitement for one day!

On sunday, when Bush is actually here (for about 7 hours!) 7,000 secret police will be on the ground and another 21,000 police on duty! I think i will be keeping a low profile seeing as everyone thinks I am American. Not the best day to be a westerner on the streets of Bogota!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The tanks move forwardThe tanks move forward
The tanks move forward

The students are behind the gates, wearing hardscarfs to hide their identity and throwing stones, rocks and make shift bombs at the police. By law the police can not physically enter the university so respond with armoured tanks, tear gas and very strong water jets.
The Armoured Tank ...The Armoured Tank ...
The Armoured Tank ...

moves forward... there another two or three lying in wait behind us just in case things get uglier. At one point the one right behind us starts to move toward us, making me freak out a little...!
Stones and studentsStones and students
Stones and students

The tanks move back, so the brave students move forward and leave the relative safety of the University. If you look closely you can see a couple of the students with hardscarfs and a lot of stones, rubble and remnants of bombs scattered across the ground
No to plan Colombia No to plan Colombia
No to plan Colombia

Plan Colombia is America´s aid package to Colombia to help fight the war against cocaine. However it is very controversial, has shown little signs of success and results in the displacement of many innocent people, as such there is considerable opposition to it through-out the country.
The day he arrivedThe day he arrived
The day he arrived

I didnt go to the main demonstration on Sunday, when Bush was actually in town, but I had to post up this photo of street art performers in the middle of the demo, peacefully demonstrating US atrocities in Colombia and surrounded by riot police
Fuera Bush de Toda La Galaxia Fuera Bush de Toda La Galaxia
Fuera Bush de Toda La Galaxia

More anti-Bush slogans, they´re pretty much pasted up everywhere


28th April 2007

Politics
Pipin, Wow quite an adventure! Colombians are very educated people they can appreciate the difference between the "American people" and the American government they hate the administration not the people. I have been to Colombia two times and both times people are only interested to know how the "people" feel about Bush, and why he has elected, again they've never confronted me or insulted me because of my government (I did not vote for him!!! NEVER). They appreciate and are quite curious about the way we think and how we view their country. I hope to go back to my beloved Colombia sometime soon. Happy travels!!!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb