Wanderings amongst the vines


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region
March 7th 2009
Published: March 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

In the last two days I have walked the length of the Tongariro Crossing, twice. Granted there weren't the hills, but it was scorching hot under the afternoon sun and very dusty on my jandaled feet.

Friday we spent the morning exploring some of the city, starting off in the Biblioteca Nacional (library), which is huge and very impressive, for a coffee and then wandering through some craft markets and trying not to spend everything on the first day. We climbed Cerro Santa Lucia for almost-awesome views over the city, though the morning smog & fog veiled the mountains which surrounded us.

We then went on a mission out to visit the Cousiño Macul vineyard. It would have been fine had we not been prudent and asked for the directions which eventually lead us astray. The metro guy did direct us to the vineyard, unfortunately not to the entrance so and we wandered around oustide, staring at the vines for an hour and a half more than necessary before arriving tired, hot and dusty (not to mention 1.5 hours late!) for our tour. The tour was pretty cool though and involved tastings (yes!) and the visit to the underground cellar allowed us a chance to cool down.

The evening was spent round the hostel with a bottle of wine, making the most of our brand new Cousiño Macul glasses that we will have to leave behind 😞

Sunday started with more delicious pancakes and a trip to the bus station to organise our onward travels. Then it was another mission, this time outside the city limits to Chile's largest and most important vineyard, Viña Concha y Toro. We were a little late (again, but only 1hr) but this time could relax under the trees until it was time for our tour (the next one). As we wandered through the grandiose grounds we were serenaded by parrots and the sound of glasses clinking as they set up for a wedding (it would be an awesome venue anyone who is looking for one). Heading out of the sunlight we then headed into the earth to the cellars, supposedly haunted by the devil (but really it was the owner scaring off locals that were pinching his grog) to check out some of their finest bottles (US$100+). More tastings followed, and then a very long walk, metro and another metro back to the hostel.

We are absolutely knackered but were greeted by Sausage, the resident pooch, and have all the ingredients to make one hell of a salad for dinner tonight.

Tomorrow we're gonna hit some of the museums and maybe track down some tasty grub in the Brazilian quarter. For now.. anything that does not involve being upright.

Taste: the delicious wines of Viña Concha y Toro and a roadside empanada

Smell: washing powder.. which is most convenient as I need to do a load

Sight: endless vines and dusty roads, dark devil-haunted cellars and bougainvillea wrapped round the ornate gates of Santiago homes

Touch: ouchy tootsies from all the walking

Feeling: exhausted, hungry and wishing there was more wine

Advertisement



8th March 2009

empanadas
yummmy empanadas??? i miss road side empanadas... i ate many in Roatan... they were like my Honduran cuppa-noodles :)

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb