Of vineyards and other stories


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
March 11th 2009
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

When I last left you were we knee deep in Chilean vineyards and enjoying the sun. Well following a spectacularly scenic ride over the Andes to Mendoza, Argentina and a few days in said region... I´d say oh heck - we were up to our necks!

Mendoza is famed for its Malbec, and so one sunny Wednesday we set off to the area of Maipu, just outside the city centre to taste a wee drop or two. Vienyard number one (La Rural) hit us with a full glass of the red stuff, just enought to get us through the museum and out into the vines where we ate lots of grapes while no one was looking and plotted our next steps.

A little later, under the scorching hot Argentine sun we rocked up to Historias y Sabores... but not for wine this time.. but some dulce de leche liqeur, marmelades, sauces and chocolate.. mmm just what the head needed for another long walk.

As we continued.... and continued, .... and continued it seemed we would never find another drop to quench our most parched throats. And then a prince on a white stallion came to our rescue... well almost..

A rather sunburnt tourist on a bicycle waved as he wavered to and fro across the road on his merry way, and seeing his lobster like flesh we decided it prudent to stop in the tiny shade of a nearby tree and hit the spf30. Then another prince decided to show up. This one however mumbled incomprehensibly and rather unfriendily in Spanish so we hastily picked up our things and moved on.

Seconds later he had reversed his trusty steed, was honking his horn and yelling words like ´peligroso´that even Caitlin could follow. And so began our first police escort of the trip. We hurtled down the road (and thank god, it was actually a bloody long, hot way), whilst he sang his lungs out and rather grouchily tried to pull another motorist over for cutting him off, sending us into oncoming traffic. Eventually we arrived at our destination (Viña El Cerno), with all in sundry staring open mouthed at our method of transport.

But none more so than Wally, aforementioned sunburned Canadian, who bicycled his way in to find us, glasses in hand, reclining on beanbags in the shade. Our story shared, he decided us worthy enough to spend his 41st birthday with and so began the afternoon of the bottles of red wine.

We were joined by Tim & Lisa from Pasadena and headed over the road for more of the local tipple surrounded by olive trees as the sun set. Then, feeling it prudent to head back to town before nightfall we bid our farewells as they cycled off into the night.

Barely minutes had passed and our prince from the earlier half of this fairytale had returned, this time with Sancho, his smiling sidekick. They had a few laughs at our expense, we made it to the bus stop super quick, without having to extend any effort. High five!

Once back in town there was only one cure for the post-several-bottles-of-malbec-blues ... parrillada, the Argentine bbq! And so a bbq made for two arrived at our table filled with super tasty meat treats that totally hit the spot.

Then, via the obligatory stop at the gelato place, it was back to our bunks for one last night in Mendoza

Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb