Of gauchos & their greedy steeds


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Mendoza » Mendoza
March 12th 2009
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Heading out of the city we dozed following our day of malbec-excess the day before. Then as the van bumped its way off the tarmac and onto the dust roads into the mountains we awoke, open-mouthed and amazed. Before us stood the Andes (or at least the foothills) against a back drop of the bluest sky as we wound our way ever upward, past sparkling lakes and rushing rivers, through golden fields and wooded villages... it was made for a postcard.

Once we arrived at La Alejandra our first chore of the day was lassoo practice, and rounding up our equine transportation for today´s mission. Well I failed at first , but luckily a quiet wee fellow allowed me to approach him and choose him as my own. His name was Vasco and he was a labrador in disguise!

We then mounted and set off across the pampa... grasses swaying in the winds, clouds rolling above and eagles soaring, their calls barely audible on the breeze. We rode across fields, down valleys, through dried up river beds... I could barely pay attention to the task at hand with such amazing scenery on offer.

Cue failure number 2. An attempt at a gallop left me clinging for dear life (the camea´s life that is) as my new friend almost flung me from the saddle. Ooops.

Hours later and posteriors much the worse for wear we returned to the ranch where the most amazing feast was laid out for us: roast beef cooked in a traditional outdoor oven, fresh salads, fresh bread, fresh fruit.. and of course wine.

It was the perfect day. Well apart from the pain of teh 10 minute ride from lunch back to the van. And the 24 hour bus journey that awaited us....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb