A crazy up and over


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Santiago Region » Santiago
February 2nd 2013
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.4691, -70.642

We've veen stuck here on the border--way in the tips of the mountains---for 2 hours now. In a line of buses on our way across the Andes from Mendoza, Argentina to Santiago, Chile, we sit and sit until someone comes on the bus and yells something about documentos and we all file out.

I'm not about to leave the camera bag, two kindles and an ipad on the bus though, so me and my weighted down shoulder bag head down the steps and into the customs shed for processing--right behind Bob. First we're in line 1--wait, wait, stamp, stamp, stamp---then we're hustled into line 2 for what looks to us like exactly the same wait, wait, stamp, stamp, stamp.

Who knows?

Then back on the bus for more waiting as all the luggage is off loaded and run through a scanner. Not us. Not our carryons. Just the checked bags.

A smuggler could have a hayday at this entry, but it's better than the walk through without a care "checkpoint" from Arg to Bolivia.

These countries have such lax security---don't they ever have terriost threats?

Oops, I spoke too soon. Once they'd gotten us all back on the bus and seated--no one standing, mind you--- they had us all get back off the bus and back into the same customs shed we'd just come out of, but this time with our carryons.

Is someone secretly filming this? This is good stuff.

We were over three hours getting through customs and off down the mountain into Chile and Santiago, today's destination.

If you want an eyeful of the Andes try Google Earth for Aconcagua--it's the highest mountain in the Western Hemisphere and the monolith we've been skirting around since we left Mendoza.

I apologize, but all these shots have been taken out of my bus window and probably anyone who isn't as enthralled by mountains as I am won't even be interested, but to me they show how tough this country is. How tough it is to make a living a few miles outside of the circle of vineyards around the oasis that's Mendoza.

A word about the road leading off the mountain into Chile: last time we were up here we read afterwards of a bunch of tourists whose bus had plummeted off the road and down the mountain side. Seeing this thing close up, we can totally understand how that could happen.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Los PenitentesLos Penitentes
Los Penitentes

They're supposed to look like monks in a row.
Can you find the stone house?Can you find the stone house?
Can you find the stone house?

Lower left with faint road leading to it.
700 tunnels...or so700 tunnels...or so
700 tunnels...or so

Okay I'm lying. I have no idea how many tunnels there are, but there are a lot.
Heading down the Chilean sideHeading down the Chilean side
Heading down the Chilean side

Do you Love it? It looks like Going to the Sun on steroids.
Notice the guardrails?Notice the guardrails?
Notice the guardrails?

No? Well that's cause they're aren't any. AND it's one way AND there are spots where you're looking straight down the mountain---no shouder.


3rd February 2013

Nice little summer place...quiet, secluded, not many neighbors. Make that not ANY neighbors.
4th February 2013

What a trip you had, Quite a welcome to Chile. I love the mountains but not a big fan of driving in them, I would not have enjoyed that trip down the mountain. Looking forward to hearing about Chile, enjoy!
4th February 2013

Thanks Agnes. I wouldn't have wanted to drive that road either, not the Chilean side. Of course it's worse now with the construction because it's all one way, but it's still a straight drop off edge, no matter how you play it.We really like
Santiago--we'll have to take some pictures for you. Thanks for leaving comments--we love them!
9th February 2013

What a awful time setting on that bus for so long. But glad you are out and probably having fun now. The pic's out the window are great we love seeing them. I save all your pic's. Have to tell us all about Chile! We both are sick with f
lu & cold, cough& fever. You both have fun and don't get sick! LY
14th February 2013

What a time you are having. The pic's are so good that sky is so blue really pretty. Really enjoying reading and seeing the pic's you take. Be careful! LY

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 42; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb